Thread: Brexit
View Single Post
Old 03-19-2019, 01:36 PM   #62
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Brexit in a nutshell (part 1)

Throughout the ages:

Some people in UK (Group 1): We shouldn't be part of the European Union. Hell, Churchill didn't want to be part of a united Europe. That's good enough for me.

Others (Group 2): Well, the problem is that we're deeply embedded in europe-wide rules, and trade, and getting us out would require about a decade plus of renegotiating treaties, and they wouldn't want to give us a deal, considering they don't want others to follow us. So, there's not much we can do.

Group 1: Bullshit! We're Great Fucking Britain (and Northern Ireland). We saved the world in World War II. We can handle anything. So what if there's a bit of pain in the transition, we can handle anything that comes our way. I mean, with that kind of attitude, the Huns would be singing the Nazi Anthem in London today!

David Cameron (PM at the time): Look, Since you yobs won't kindly shut the hell up about this bullshit, and I don't want to keep hearing this, how about this? We hold a public vote. If Leave wins, we'll figure out how to get out of the EU. And WHEN you lose, maybe we'll get some peace and quiet from you.

Group 2: Sounds Reasonable. I mean, look at the alternative.
Group 1: If we win, everyone gets a pony, the Health Service gets a bajillion pounds bonus. it'll be great!
Group 2: Wait, that's not true at all..
Group 1: See? They oppose it. Which mean we MUST be telling the truth.

(vote happens, Leave wins 51.9% to 48.1%)

Cameron: Oh shit.
Group 2: Oh shit.
Group 1: Oh Shit.. I mean yay! we won.
Group 2 (to Cameron): So, I assume you had a plan to deal with what happened if they won, right?

Cameron: Nope, but just now, I came up with a brilliant plan.
Group 2: Great, what is it?
Cameron: Resigning.
Group 2: That's not a brilliant plan.
Cameron: It is for me. Means I don't have to deal with this. Good luck, you're going to be facing about a dozen Gordian knots.