View Single Post
Old 09-06-2004, 03:55 AM   #438
MIJB#19
Coordinator

General manager notes
Yes, it's true, I give up on trading up. We were very close with 2 parties for "if my guy is gone, you can have the pick and take Flannery" deals. Further examination of Flannery made me worried about a transition we'd have to made on offense with him. Yes, if he's still on the board at #12, he would gladly pick him, but trading all we have for him to pick him in the top 5, it's too expensive and I think Flannery is not top 5 material. The league by now should know we're eyeing for Louie Flannery at #12 overall, so he's going to be picked in the top eleven, somebody will pay a lot to get him in te top 5 afterall.

So what now? Well, we have some gaps on our team and we have three or four names for the #12 pick. It's very likely we get one of these guys there, so we're going to keep hold on the #12 pick. We're also openly advertising the #23 we recently acquired, it's both a money issue and a nobody worth the pick issue. The #35 could be useful and the #51 as well. Same counts for the 5th rounder we have.

Alvin Causey is about to leave the Merchantmen afterall. He played just two games after recovering from a severe shoulder injury. We are not completely getting what we gave up to get him, but he's not going to win the battle with Butch White, plain and simple. We still have Russell Malave to be the ideal #6 lineman.

We're now talking with people for the #12 pick, in a "guys gone, we trade" scenario. Face it, we have just three guys on our list for that pick, but most teams would probably be happy to trade up to get a guy they wouldn't have been able to get at, say, #25 overall or in the early second round.

The #23 pick has to go, no doubt. We have contacted one of our most loyal trading partners to make an offer I think he can't refuse, unless he's worried about the cap consequences.

Additionally, some personal life happenings have had an impact on the fucntioning of my brains. It seems I've gotten a bit fuzzy with my trading negotiations offers, which I backed out the past 24 hours. Not going into detail, but I have to set up my draft strategy as quickly as possible to be pseudo-active when I am actually asleep. It will be an interesting aspect to get that done, but we'll see if I can get it worked out...
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote