View Single Post
Old 02-20-2006, 09:37 AM   #115
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Here are the six job postings I looked at earlier and what my decision on each is. There are six, not seven as mis-staed in the above post:

Job #1). Dean of Students - Huron University. Normally a jump from ACD to Dean would miss several intervening levels of hierarchy, but in this case, Huron as a whole is just 300 students, so its not as much of a promotion. It's still a promotion, though. Huron is an American institution. There's nothing in the list of responsibilities that I couldn't do. Another way to look at it is salry, which is just 26-28k. That tells me that is in my job range. In this case, they have listed no qualifications and don't have a form, they just want a CV (a resume) and a letter of application, which I assume is a cover letter.

This one may interest me.

Job #2). Head of Campus Services - Royal Veterinary College. I was hoping that this job would run a residence hall, but it doesn't. Instead it works with a physical plant to give services to various buildings and such at the college. This is a non-starter.

Job #3). Head of Building Services - Royal Veterinary College. If the first job didn't, work, I pulled up the second. This the same sort of job as above. These are both brand new positions - just created probably in some sort of reorganization.

Job #4). Community Development Manager - Brunel University. In American univeristies, the phrase "community development" is code for programming, events, dinners, and that sort of thing. I would be very good at that, and it would fall within my realm of expertise. In this case, however, the job's title refers to building relationships with the local community, businesses, and such. I had a lot of hopes for this job when I saw the title, but it's about something completely different.

Job #5). Campus Manager - Imperial College. I figured that this could be like the previous two jobs at the Vet College, or more like the sort of job I want. Unfortunately for me, it is more like the Vet jobs than my own. You run a few buildings, like I do, but they are non-residental, instead being medical buildings. That's nowhere near my area of expertise.

Job #6). Events Co-ordinator - City University. This one is much more along the lines of my expertise. For this job, well...here let me give you a quote:

"You will assist with the setting up, co-ordinating and supervising all events held in the University facilities. This includes client contact, customer care and assisting with marketing strategies and customer retention plans. You will be expected to build strong relationships and foster good team spirit with both clients and colleagues within the service and from other departments."

Here are the job requirements, copied and pasted for your consumption:

Person Specification

Essential

1. The post holder will need to display initiative, tact and diplomacy.

2. Educated to Degree level, preferably in a business-related discipline, or with demonstrable, relevant work experience

3. Computer literate, with experience in the use of a computerised booking system and familiarity with the full Microsoft Office Suite.

4. Ability to relate and respond directly to customers needs

5. Excellent organisational, interpersonal and communication skills with attention to detail.

6. Good at anticipating crises with positive attitude to problem solving.

Desirable

7. Experience of working within a service industry, hotels or venue finding agency

8. Experience of marketing strategies, sales targets and statistical analysis

While I don't have marketing strategies experience, I do have statistical training. I have everything else. This may be a job worth persuing.

However, I'm going to begin by taking a closer look at that Dean job.

-Anxiety

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote