View Single Post
Old 04-24-2007, 09:00 PM   #15
molson
General Manager

WORLD CLASS CHAMPIONSHIP WRESTLING
Saturday, Week 2, April 1983
Rochester, MN: 2,000 SELL OUT

-Dark Match:
Jose Lothario defeated Black Gordan in 9:37 by pinfall (C-) Before the match, Black Gordman was interviewed (D-). After the match, Lothario talks about how he feels he has one good run left in him (D)

-Pre-Show Segment
Checkmate presents a chess playing demonstration to the crowd to demonstrate his intelligence. He defeats who he calls a Grand Master in 3 minutes (E)

-The announcers bring up Bundy's Battle Royal win in Kansas City earlier in the week, and that he'll have a WCCW American Heavyweight Title Match against Kevin Von Erich. They point out Von Erich's first round match at the King of Texas Tournament is against another big man, Terry Gordy, and that Bundy should give him a strong test (D)

-Kerry Von Erich defeated Frank Dusek (w/Akbar) in 4:04 by submission (C-). Kerry "looked good".

-Kabuki/Dragon (w/ Hart) defeated Johnny and Ken Mantel in 7:32 when Magic Dragon made Johnny Mantel submit (D+)

-Fritz Von Erich announces the 3rd first round match at the King of Texas Tournament...David Von Erich v. Jimmy Garvin. The announcers talk about the great match they had on TV last week, and how Garvin would love the chance to win this tournament and unify his Texas Heavyweight Championship with one of the other singles titles. (C)

-Checkmate defeated Brian Adias in 3:33 by submission (D-). After the match, Checkmate once again celebrates as if he's won a title (E). He then offers an open challenge - if anyone on the roster can defeat him by pinfall or submission, he'll give them $5,000, and take his mask off on television (E).

-Fritz Von Erich announces the final match of the King of Texas tournament...Kerry Von Erich V. Michael Hayes. (C). The announcers hype the tournament as a whole, and discuss how we could conceivably see Freebird v. Freebird or Von Erich v. Von Erich

-Fritz Von Erich also announces that due to the time limit draw between Iceman Parsons and Buddy Roberts last week, and the Double DQ between them earlier in the week, Parsons will defend the TV title against Roberts again tonight, but it will be no DQ, no Countout. (D+)

-WCCW Television Championship Match - Hardcore rules
Iceman Parsons and Buddy Roberts drew after a violent brawl when the referee ruled neither man could continue. Parsons makes his second title defense. (D+) Before the match, a video highlight package shows the conclusion of the previous two patches between the two (D-)

-The announcers show a clip of video that they say was taken earlier tonight, which shows Skandor Akbar handing over a wad of cash to Gary Hart. (D-)

-WCCW American Heavyweight Championship Match
Kevin Von Erich defeats King Kong Bundy (w/ Hart) in 6:44 by count out to make his first title defense. The match included interference by Gary Hart. Despite the short length of the match, Bundy was said to be tiring badly by the end (C-)

Show Rating: D+

Thoughts:

-This was a show with an intentional lack of star power. Running so many shows in the midwest means smaller gates, so I wanted to save some money here, giving David, Gordy, and Hayes the night off, among others. Despite the D+ rating, by Midwest popularity still increases from 41.0% to 41.4%

-Checkmate's been given a chance to star in an angle, and he's bombing horribly. To be fair, he's more of a technical wrestler than an entertainer. On the other hand, he doesn't have a match rated higher than D+ yet. I think I'm going to give him a shot in the ring with David Von Erich, just to see he has an upside.

-I'm not sure where the Akbar/Hart money exchange is going yet, but they're definitely pissed that the main authority figure of their promotion is the father of their clients' most common opponents. They may be thinking big to shift the balance of power. Akbar's "Destruction Inc." stable is really sad at this point (Dusek and Irwin).

-I have four active storyline, which the game ranks in terms of overness as: 1. King of Texas tournament; 2. Precious/Sunshine 3. Magic Dragon/Great Kabuki 4. The Checkmate mask challenge

-I was pretty surprised to see the two old Mexicans pull out a C- match on the dark show. Lothario looks like he might have a little gas left in the tank. He still has above average ratings in the Basics, Psychology, Star Quality, Charisma, Respect, and Resilience. And he seems to be in decent shape physically. He'll get a small push for the rest of his contract before he rides into the sunset.

Last edited by molson : 04-25-2007 at 09:50 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote