Head Coach

November 25, 2013

Atlanta(10-3) at Charlotte(8-6)

CHA:ATL
92:95 OVR
86:96 OFF
96:94 DEF

Atlanta Scouting

PG Neil Grady - 83 OVR - 14.3 ppg/6.2 apg - Grady is developing like a madman, this is just his 3rd year in the league, he improved five points to his OVR rating last year. A- hands/B- inside/A- outside, A defense.

SG Joe Johnson - 91 OVR - 23.5 ppg/8.5 apg - So far Johnson's numbers are not down even with Griffin coming in and Grady exploding for more points. A- hands/A- inside/A- outside/A- defense, a star all over.

SF Marvin Williams - 76 OVR - 18.3 ppg/6.9 rpg - I assume that scoring count will drop, he's had a 30 point game and 5 other 20 point games though. B inside/A- outside, not much of a defender or ball handler.

PF Blake Griffin - 90 OVR - 19.0 ppg/12.8 rpg - A+ rebounder, B post defense, A inside, Griffin is a superstar and will be a big challenge for Padgett.

C Todd Williams - 67 OVR - 5.5 ppg/5.9 rpg - B rebounder/C+ inside/C+ defense, not so hot!

Backup guard Jess Nelson is rated 73 OVR and scores 9.6 a game. Backup big man Owen Edwards is rated 70 OVR but isn't putting up much in the way of numbers so far.

First Quarter

Atlanta 26
Charlotte 21

To be honest, I played about 8 minutes of this a couple nights ago but was not really focused and just saved it to pick up later, so I don't remember exactly how we got here. Marvin Williams has 9, Jess Nelson 5. Joe Johnson picked up two early fouls and is a total non-factor. On our end Padgett has 6 points/5 boards, he drew both fouls on Johnson and both were 3 point plays. Our rookie guard Sawnson has 4, getting to the rim a couple times for nice buckets. Wallace, Felton, Mayo all have two and were pretty ineffective.

Second Quarter

Atlanta 52
Charlotte 38

If you'd toldme that Joe Johnson would be scorless at the half I would ahve assumed we would be crushing Atlanta. Marvin Williams has just hit everything tonight, he has 18 points. Center Todd Williams has taken advantage of defensive breakdowns on penetration and he has 8. Padgett leads Charlotte with 10 points/7 boards. Wallace and Mayo both have 6 but its been a struggle. We had a number of one on one situations in transition where I expect to draw a foul or score but came up empty this half. Mayo is 3-8.

Sparks and felton both have 3 fouls. We are shooting 38% as a team.

Third Quarter

Atlanta 80
Charlotte 68

Frustrating, we scored 7 straight to cut the lead down to 8 after struggling all quarter, but Atlanta scored 4 in a row on the other end to get it right back up to 12. Wallace, Felton, and Sparks all picked up their 4th fouls that quarter. Joe Johnson woke up finally and scored 14. Marvin Williams still leads everyone with 22. Mayo woke up a good bit on our end and has 21 now, Padgett has 18 points/8 boards. Felton, Wallace and Sparks have 6 each. We just don't seem to be able to compete with Atlanta consistently right now.

Fourth quarter

11:45 to go - We start out with Swanson, Henderson, Wallace, Arthur, Sparks out there, needing to rest Felton/Mayo/Padgett pretty badly(Felton didn't get foul four til the final minute of the 3rd). Henderson draws a foul on Blake Griffin and gets a 3 point play right away, and we trail 80-71.

9:15 to go - Gerald Henderson is earning his money tonight! He hits a tough shot in the lane, then after a Wallace bucket and a couple Wallace Ft's, Henderson goes into traffic, draws a foul and hits a beautiful runner for a 3 point play. We've gotten a couple stops where Atlanta has none, and all of a sudden it's 84-80!

8:20 to go - After a couple misses on our end Atlanta goes back up 86-80. I call a timeout and get all 5 starters back in.

5:55 to go - 94-88 Atlanta. Sparks has 6 of our last 8, Mayo the other 2. We cannot stop them though, Joe Johnson driving and scoring or drawing the defense and dishing to an open man every play it seems.

4:50 to go - Mayo with a great feed to Padgett for two. On the other end i doubleteam Johnson and he misses a tough shot fading away. On offense Sparks htis Padgett with a nice interior pass and Padgett has 4 in a row, its 94-92 Atlanta.

4:25 to go - Grady misses a wide open shot from 20 feet, something that almost never happens, on our end Sparks is hot still from his earlier 6 point run and I get him the ball and he owns Atlanta's Center for a layup. TIE GAME!!

3:55 to go - Sparks with a block after 20 seconds of great defense!!! We're on the break and Mayo hits a layup, 96-94 Charlotte!!!!

3:08 to go - 100-94 Charlotte!!! we are on a 12-0 run in the last 3 minutes.

0:42 to go - Atlanta finally scores, ending a 5:15 scoreless drought. By now its way way too late, as we ended up going on a ridiculous 21-0 run during that stretch.

Charlotte 111
Atlanta 97

What a 4th quarter!!! Gerald Henderson really got us going and deserves a ton of credit, and when we brought our starters back on Sparks, Padgett and Mayo all three seemed to be unable to miss. The defense was stifling for the first time all game and we forced a lot of contested shots. Just a thrilling win.

Mayo: 31 points
Padgett: 26 points/10 boards
Sparks: 19 points/8 boards/4 assists
Henderson: 11 points/5 boards
Wallace: 10 points/8 boards
Felton: 6 points/8 assists

Chandler and Swanson had 4 each.

Marvin Williams ended up leading Atlanta with 24. Johnson had 18, all in the second half. Grady 14, Williams 11. Blake Griffin only had 8 points/8 boards.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote