View Single Post
Old 09-03-2010, 02:14 AM   #184
Radii
Head Coach

Injury Update

Jesus has a twisted knee and will be out 2-3 weeks. This hurts our talent there for sure (he's averaging a 7.14 rating so far and looks great), but Sam Sloma is still on the roster so this gives Clapham a chance to show what he can do and we've got the depth still.

September Notes

September looks super busy though we're out of the League Cup and tehre's a lot of international stuff listed in this report, so it should be fine for us.

-- Grimsby striker Tom Corner is young player of the month with a 7.36 rating in 5 matches. That's interesting because we could have had him, I made an offer to Grimsby but still had too many holes to fill and backed off. Joe O'Sullivan is 3rd in the young player of the month voting with a 7.40 rating in 4 appearances.

-- Nikolaou is called up for U21 Cyprus international matches on 9/6 and 9/10. He'll miss some time for us.

-- The board is pleased with my leading of the team. not surprisingly, our 5-0 win over tranmere is the highlight, our 5-1 loss to Charlton in the league cup is the lowlight.

-- Kevin Lynch is named in the league 2 team of the week. I'm really happy to see Lynch get some recognition, though in part that is because we are having to withstand massive attacks from some of these teams.

After one month we're 9th in the league, only 1 point out of a playoff spot (4 teams get promoted, 3 automatic and then the 4 team playoff). We've got a 7:3 goal differential and I am really really happy with our play so far and excited about this season.

-- Oh right I forgot about our bye in the Johnstone Paint Trophy, I saw on the schedule the round 2 draw but didn't see our game, duh. Nifty, round 1 was on 9/3 and our next league match is on 9/7, we'll be playing a team on shorter rest than us.

-- Ricky Anane has food poisoning and will be weakened for 4-5 days.

-- Nifty! Stelios Nikolaou picks up an assist and is dominant for Cyprus' U21 team, earning an 8.4 rating and man of the match in a 2-nil win over Kazakhastan.

Johnstone's Paint Trophy Round 2 Draw

We will travel to fellow League 2 side Exeter on October 9th.

September 7th, 2013

Woking (2-2-1, 9th) @ Notts Co(1-1-3, 16th)

Notts are favored here at home, even money to win. We're 11:5 dogs. We've never played them before.

With Jesus and Nikolaou out, Pablo and Ball not fully match fit we change things up a good deal today.

GK: Lynch
DEF: Williams/Fenton/Smith/Ogogo
MC: Upson/Pulis
AM: Clapham/Downes
ST: Harsanyi/Subotic

Notts Co runs a 3-4-3 formation with three FC's. I don't think i've ever played against that before.

We'll open up looking to counter attack.

18': notts puts a shot way over... noteworthy b/c its the first shot of the match for either team 18 minutes in.

26': We start out attacking, Upson takes a shot fro 20 yards out that's saved. Their keeper throws it in and starts a break, with a rright side midfielder getting very deep and firing a low cross into the far end of the 6 yard box where they get a forward onto it for an easy goal. Looked a ton like our goal in our last match. I missed all the names when watching it heh. 0-1

32': Smith with a yellow for us going after a long ball.

HALF: the half ends quickly after that. they manage 6 shots to our 1. We are really having a hard time generating shots right now. Fenton has an awful 5.5 half and I fear he is just too past his prime, I'm bringing Thomas in now.

46': Very disappointing start. They take the opening kickoff and go straight down the field with a very nice through ball played from one foward to another, the right side foward putting an easy shot in the net. 0-2

58': A great run down the left side from Clapham, a cross into the box, maybe slightly long, Subotic gets his head to it but its in the side netting.

62': All my subs are gone. Sloma in for a tired Clapham, Ball in for a tired Upson.

74': Mike Williams picks up a yellow tackling a guy who was speeding past him.

78': Ball plays a great ball foward for a cutting Downes who scores.. but he looked offsides in real time, and yeah, he was. No goal.

84': We crowd things up on offense, Pulis gets a nice pass to Ball in the area and he has a great chance but strikes it right at the keeper.

90': Sloma goes down hurt, ugh. Play stops, and we formup in a 4-3-2 to finish out extra time.

Notts Co 2 : 0 Woking

A disappointing one here, we looked totally outclassed. Ogogo played well (7.3), and that's it. Fenton and Thomas both looked terrible with 5.5 and 5.6 ratings, and there were a number of low-mid 6's as well. Downes, Upson Ball had 6.8s and 6.9s and were good today.

We are struggling to generate shots. outshot 13-5 today, and that's becoming a pattern.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote