View Single Post
Old 04-11-2024, 09:29 PM   #4514
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

fwiw ... We watched the first 2 hours of the new Fallout series on Prime today.

We're not ... displeased, though I think more episodes are needed to determine how pleased we are.

Visually, they've done a very good job. Just like the trailers, a lot of things that just really needed to look right actually do. A good example for me would be the exit of Vault 33, the railings specifically. That's such a distinct look, almost at a subconscious level after some 16 years of seeing it over & over, it would have triggered me if it had been wrong.

The dialogue is between "source material appropriate" and "comically bad". The hokeyness fits, how well it will wear over eight hours is still TBD.

The acting is kind of the same. Walton Goggins seems made for this part -- just as most of us expected -- but he's so good that I already find myself wishing we'd cut back to his story when he's not on screen.

The Amata stand-in segments are really more visual candy, the vault and her exploration of the wastes are where the constant atmospheric visuals are strongest. It's perhaps the trickiest part, how well she translates the smartening up on the outside element of the character is going to be key.

The Brotherhood character feels like the weakest after two hours and I'm not really vibing with some of the BoS tweaks so far.

I will say that I'm not entirely sure how ... accessible ... this feels for viewers not already familiar with the universe. There's not much handholding for newcomers to the IP, you're pretty much thrown right in and there's not been much (any?) exposition to fill in the blanks.

The first two hours don't have us running away by any means, time will tell how we feel after the first season is completed.