View Single Post
Old 11-15-2008, 10:03 AM   #29
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
Edit: National decriminalization of marijuana. Pipe dream, I know.

A pipedream for now as in being able to go to the local convenience store and buying a pack of Marlboro Joints, but decriminalization is occurring in plenty of places in America. As in, possessing small amounts of marijuana is not a criminal offense.

The District Attorney in Dane County, Wisconsin (which contains Madison, of course) decided last year that he will no longer actively prosecute possession of less than 25 grams. Municipalities inside of Dane County can and do implement their own ordinances against possession but these usually amount to petty fines.

I live in a neighboring county to Dane, and possession inside of my county is classified as a misdemeanor. But municipalities have their own ordinances which are the same small fines. So in essence, if you're going to get caught, it's better to get caught in a municipality with their own ordinance because they you don't have to go through the misdemeanor charges which you'll likely need to go through probation to get it expunged (ie: piss tests!).

Paying a small fine is no big deal if you ask me. If you happen to get caught I guess it's pretty much like paying a tax. But the government would do better in collecting that tax by legalizing, regulating, and taxing it. Right now the government is losing money (through imprisonment and enforcement) on something they could be making money on.

Use the tax revenue to stop the real problems out there like meth.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote