View Single Post
Old 04-28-2014, 10:10 AM   #409
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Chattahoochee Long Course Time Trials - @ Cumming Aquatic Center – 5/2 – 5/4

The beginning of the Long Course Season starts this weekend, and Georgia swimming recently released new time standards to qualify for the State Meet. Basically, the changes involve dropping times in most of the freestyles and IMs, but slowing down the times in the remaining strokes. This is probably a direct result of the small number of swimmers that actually qualified for State at the Short Course Meeting following the tougher standards put in place last year.

Note: All seed times for this meet, appears to be actual year old Long Course times…so I’d expect a significant improvement.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Brett

200 IM – 3:15.14 – With Brett’s improved fly and strength, I’d suspect this will improve significantly, should be sub 3 minutes.

800 Free – 11:20.00 – This time was created by the coach to get Brett into a heat with swimmers of similar quality.

100 Free – 1:18.20 – a sub 1:15 would be a good swim for Brett. I believe he could go 1:13, but I’m not sure he’s back in peak form yet.

100 Back – 1:37.93 – Brett’s backstroke improved significantly during the short course season, I could see a 12 second drop here.

200 Breast – 3:14.57 – This is the interesting one for Brett…with the new times for state qualification, Brett’s short course personal best actually translates as a qualifying time in Long Course. He’ll need to swim a 3:05.09 to qualify. I really hope he can get his cut in this meet so he’ll be in and not worry about it moving forward.
400 Free – 5:55.32 – Here is another area where Brett has improved significantly. Brett is much better at pushing himself in longer swims, a 30+ second improvement here really wouldn’t be a shock.

200 Free – 2:51.73 – This one will be interesting to watch. Brett still isn’t terrible good at sprinting frees, and this one is a long sprint, but his ability to push on longer swims will undoubted lead to improvement, just not sure how much.

100 Breast – 1:33.55 – Like the 200 the times for state qualification have been loosened. Brett’s converted time from short course is 3 seconds off of the cut time, but Brett is typically better in long course because he’s better in the middle of the pool than he is off walls. He needs a 1:25.89 to get the cut.

200 Back – 3:22.57 – like the 100 Back, I expect a big improvement here…might break 3 minutes.

400 IM – 6:10.00 – Coach entered time. Brett could beat it, especially if his fly holds up and he breaths less often (which he’s been working on in practice).

Note: At Bear’s birthday over the weekend, we played a bunch of football and ultimate Frisbee…which unfortunately has left Brett with some very sore muscles. Hopefully, it clears up early this week, so he can get good practices in and be prepared for the meet.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bear

200 IM – 3:16.95 – I don’t expect him to get sub 3, but a 3:03 or 3:05 sounds about right.

800 Free – 12:01.17 – I am fairly certain, Bear’s 1000 Free swim at SC State was more than enough for Bear to qualify for State in this event. But the improvement in time in this one will be significant. He may improve by 1.5 minutes…
200 Free – 2:46.97 – Bear’s short course time converts to a 2:31.52, the cut time is 2:31.39…

100 Back – 1:36.73 – Should see significant improvement, but will still be 5+ seconds off the cut

100 Fly – 1:45.45 – Bear’s conversion from short course is good enough for a cut, so if he can swim a 1:22.49 he’ll get it…

400 Free – 5:45.17 – converted time is well under the state cut requirements, but Bear’s 500 at SC State probably earned him this cut anyway…

100 Free – 1:18.65 – This is one area I’d love to see Bear improve on significantly…he’s currently the ninth seeded 11/12 year old Gold Freestyler. I’m not sure if any are aging up yet, as I haven’t done that much research into it, but I’d really like to see Bear on a relay. He’ll need to improve on his sprints to get there though.

200 Fly – NT – Bear is one of only 4 doing this…with his buddies Riley and Tommy also racing. Bear won’t be able to keep up with those 2, but he should do well if his form holds after the rest and restart from SC to LC

200 Back – 3:14.17 – Should be much better, but not state cut better…

400 IM – 7:02.74 – could improve on this one by about 1 minute…already has cut from SC

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bailey

200 IM – 3:09.45 – Bailey was hoping to get a cut in this, but that was before the time improvements, not sure she’ll be able to get it this season, and I’d be shocked if she got it this meet.

50 Free – 38.78 – The one area Bailey has struggled to improve…Free sprints. Hoping for a breakthrough on this one.

200 Free – 2:52.19 – This goes back to the Free sprint comment above. But her improved effort on longer swims will cause a decent time improvement, even if her sprint speed hasn’t improved much.

100 Back – 1:31.48 – with the short to long course conversion, Bailey is about 1 second off the new easier state cut.

200 Breast – NT – Bailey isn’t thrilled to be doing this one. Not sure what her form looks like anymore…but if it is similar to her form at SC State, she’ll do fine.

100 Fly – 1:26.02 – Already has the cut from short course…

100 Free – 1:16.14 – See 50 Free…

200 Fly – NT – Bailey is one of only 5 girls swimming this…already has the cut from SC

200 Back – 3:01.64 – converted time is about 3 seconds off the cut.

400 IM – 6:48.11 – Bailey is concerned about the 400 IM following the 200 Fly earlier in the day. She loves both events, but typically likes to do one or the other on any given day. She doesn’t like doing both because of how taxing the swims are. She’s already asked Coach to allow her to skip the 200 fly next time so she’ll be fresh in the 400 IM. I expect it won’t matter, as she’ll probably post a great time anyway, and she already has the cut.
Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote