View Single Post
Old 08-13-2004, 09:00 AM   #358
MIJB#19
Coordinator

League News: playoffs advancing
The playoffs for the 2005 IHOF championship have started and there hasn't been an upset as of yet. Some of the Merchantmen 2005 opponents are still in the race, but those playing in the wild card round all went out. Tucker lost 13-16 at last year's AOC champions Telluride, then named Stillwater. Orlando lost on the road to North Plainfield, last season's AOC runners-up. Astoria got totalled out played by hometeam Ann Arbor. In the fourth game, Columbus was victorious at Outer Banks with a small margin.

In the next round, Bordeaux hosts North Plainfield and Conyers host Telluride in the AOC semi finals. For the NAC championship, defending champs Fairbanks host Columbus, while Chesapeake are getting Ann Arbor in town. Merchantmen fans should be amazed to see Maassluis went 2-2 against these eight teams this season and a Conyers versus Chespeake final would really make it a good feeling.

In other news, the trading period should not start until the championship game is played, but the negotiations same to have started and five or six teams out of the playoffs race already sent out their names of available players or draft picks. The waiting is for the first trade to be accomplished, league pundits expect the first deal to be completed by trade-a-holics Maassluis and North Plainfield.

General manager notes
Recent calculations show to me that with expected loss of players by trades or cuts and free agent signings, the team has room for eigh new players, excluding the seven pre-season additional names and ten training camp players. This includes the expected loss of 14 players currently on the roster, of which we don't give away names. If things go as planned, we'll have about 4M dollars for free agents and draft picks. Yup, about 500K per player, good luck with getting a high draft pick this year...

Oh well, the roster is set, we have about two question marks and going on with the same players only means cohesion will be very good. I am shopping around a few expensive underachievers or potential backups, who could be starters elsewhere, so I can get some value out of them. It won't hurt to get future draft picks in return, right? Anyway, cap reality is stepping in and I expected to have to work with 10M of lost cap room in a cap around 82M. If the cap turns out to be higher, that would be great, a lower cap means we have to say good bye to one or two additional expensive players. It might also mean we will be a just below .500 team again, which would really hurt our good progress. At least it makes a great challenge!

Last edited by MIJB#19 : 08-13-2004 at 09:05 AM.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote