View Single Post
Old 10-16-2014, 11:53 PM   #6
Radii
Head Coach

Loan Acquisition

Welcome 20 y/o LB Bradley Garmston to Exeter! He'll be with us this year, making $3,000/wk. He's on loan from West Brom.

We had to drop our transfer budget in half to be able to afford the second loan. I was slightly torn on this, b/c our current LB Woodman seems solid'ish so far, but, this is an EA game in the end, and speed kills.

Woodman is a good deal more aggressive. Woodman is better at long passes too. But most of the other reasons that allow Woodman's OVR rating to be the same as Garmston's (both are 60) are irrelevant, penalty taking, volley's, finishing, etc. Garmston is just as good marking, tackling, crossing, dribbling, etc. Plus THAT SPEED. So we'll see if we can find a way to make use of that blistering speed in matches.

-- We did have to reduce our transfer budget to afford Garmston. That leaves me currently with a $220,500 transfer budget and essentially no wage budget.

Playing with the slider I have two options here. If I set my transfer budget to $0, I can afford $4,400/wk in salary, which would allow me one more impact loan player. I could also drop the transfer budget to $150,000 and be able to pay a player $1,500/wk. That would allow me to make a purchase of a cheaper player if I found something promising.

I am continuing to fully scout things out, I suspect I will go all in on trying to win this year though with another player on loan.

I don't have any additional loan offers out right now (I did have one to another striker, but it was just rejected). While I expect to try to bring in another loaner, I will likely wait until I've played a couple matches that count and get a bit further into August before making offers.

August 4th, 2014 - Friendly #3

We host Sarandi, a team that looks to be from Argentina. I think.

17': Yellow card on their midfielder Aleman for a sliding challenge.

19': CM Wheeler is hurt on that yellow that just happened, I didn't notice immediately. I bring in LM Davies for him.

23': A mixup in switching control gives them a clear cut chance as I pull the wrong defender out of position. They blast it wide somehow.

30': We build up slowly, first down the middle, then a pass out wide to Garmston. He holds the ball up about 35 yards out, turns by his man with a burst of speed, and sends a ball into the area for MC Oakley who was making a run. Oakley is behind the defense, strikes it left footed with his first touch, and its in!! 1-0

34': We give the goal back, a CB comes out too far to try to pressure them and leaves a big hole, they find ST Aleman who scores easily. 1-1

HALF: We allow one scary shot and get a couple crosses of our own but go into halftime tied at one.

Somehow we are credited with 0 shots taken, despite having a goal... We've allowed 7 shots, 3 on target, we've also allowed 57% of the possession. I knew it was bad, but I didn't realize that bad. We've passed very poorly, and I've made a lot of mistakes here, both in the midfield on offense and in defense trying to make aggressive tackles.

47': We work the ball down the left side after kickoff, Garmston with a pass to Armstrong who manages a shot, but its blocked.

55': A very poor tackle attempt by Ribeiro gives a penalty, its a yellow as well. I'm just not being patient on defense. Their man steps up to take the penalty, Pym dives to his left.. and saves it!!!

56': I decide to sub out Ribeiro and his yellow, RB Butterfield in.

64': We allow a pass inside from the right side, a shot is saved by Pym, there's a rebound, they get a shot off it but wide.

70': Throwin in our end, Garmston to Davies, back to Garmston, ahead to Armstrong, Garmston cuts by his man, gets the ball back, sprints into the area and has a good look... hits the side netting. Nice move though!

70': Baldwin out, CB Tillson in.

85': We manage to earn a corner after a through ball down the right side to Armstrong. Wasn't a great looking shot, but it was deflected. Corner is taken too close to the goal and the keeper grabs it.

90': Garmston forces his way down the left side, dodging one slide tackle, holding off another tackle, he gets a cross in, but the keeper gets out and punches it away. There's a rebound, its about 25 yards out, but I try to have Noble volley it back towards goal, as their keeper was a little slow getting back. Its way off target.

That's it.

Exeter 1 : 1 Sarandi

They put a lot of pressure on us in the second half, and actually outshoot us 17-4 in the end. My passing was extremely poor, and it allowed Sarandi 57% of the possession.

Man of the Match: Pym (9.8)
Goal: Oakley (6.9)
Notables: Garmston (8.0), Davies (7.3)

Both Right Backs struggled, 5.3 from Ribeiro and 4.6 from Butterfield.

Some sort of bug prevented the goal from being recorded correctly, Oakley does get credit for it, but no assist. Weird.

You can see from the rating the emphasis I attempted to put on Garmston, our speedy loanee. We'll see how that works out long term. I forced it his way a bit much, and he was a bit too careless with the ball in the midfield. Some of that is just me learning how to use that kind of speed, as he is faster than everyone else. But not fast enough to just hit the turbo button and run by everyone every play, so that's good.

Injury Update

CM David Wheeler was hurt in this match and will miss 3 weeks.

Good news though, is that CM Liam Sercombe returns from injury. I am warned by the trainers that he can re-injure himself if I play him too soon/too much. So maybe he comes off the bench next match and we see how it goes.

One last note on Garmston, the speedy LB. I obviously ran him all over the field today, and he is more tired than anyone else after the match. I may end up having to rest him more often than my other starters if I want to use him that way. That would be ok though, I could see alternating him with Woodman.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote