View Single Post
Old 10-21-2014, 11:55 PM   #13
Radii
Head Coach

October 18th, 2014

Exeter City (3-3-6, 19th) vs Wycombe (3-3-6, 20th)

We're ahead of Wycombe with a better goal differential, they're at -7.

GK: Pym (57)
LB: Garmston (61)
CB: Baldwin (59)
CB: Bennett (60)
CB: Moore-Taylor (57)
RB: Ribeiro (62)
CM: Davies (59)
CM: Oakley (58) (c)
AMC: Sercombe (62)
ST: Armstrong (61)
ST: Seager (59)

We do use my default lineup today. High pressure tactic, we will start out immediately in an attacking mindset.

2': We move straight down the left side after kickoff, Seacombe finds Armstrong, shot from 18', hits the crossbar and goes over.

12': Sercombe tries a through ball to Armstrong, intercepted, but Sercombe attacks and wins the ball back before they can clear. He passes to Seager, he turns to the right and is into the area, tries a shot, but right at the keeper. We get a corner out of it, no luck.

19': Armstrong to Sercombe for a strong low shot, just wide by a foot.

29': We build up down the center, a pass out wide left to Garmston, back in to Sercombe, he hits a through ball that Armstrong gets to in the area, he just broke on it better than the defense, he hits it from 10 yards out and beats the keeper! 1-0

37': Oakley with a yellow card, given for a foul a few minutes earlier but play continued.

39': They pass it around the right corner area, we're unable to get a good clearance, there's an attempted low cross, it deflects off of Bennett and falls to an attacker Craig who shoots and scores before we can react. 1-1

41': Almost immediately after kickoff, we go straight down the field, Seager passes to Armstrong, he dodges a sliding tackle and that is all it takes, it pulls everyone out of position as a defender comes up to cover, Sercombe makes a run, Armstrong hits him with a through ball, and he finishes well. 2-1

HALF: That is probably the best half I've played. We outshoot them 9-2 and have 7 players over a 7.0 rating at the half. Armstrong and Sercombe each get one assist to the other for a goal. Our mids, Davies and Oakley, are doing a spectacular job winning the ball back before the other team fully sets up its offense. Its too bad we allowed the one goal, this could easily be 3-0 instead of 2-1.

63': We allow a cross in from the right corner, a fairly open volley, but hit wide.

-- At this point Wycombe are controlling possession a lot better, and we're at risk of giving up a goal. I have really got to figure out how to better play with the lead.

69': Two subs in the midfield, Keohane and Wheeler in for Davies and Oakley. Keohane is an AMC and I move him up there, dropping Sercombe back to defend more.

87': We win a ball in our end, a pass up to Wheeler, through ball to Armstrong, he has a half step on the defense, he's able to get a shot from about 18 yards out, but saved.

90': They send a cross through the 6 yard box, the attacker can't quite get to it though.

That's it, we held this lead nicely!

Exeter 2 : 1 Wycombe

We end up with 10 shots to their 3. We had 60% of the possession at one point in the first half, but ended up behind 54/46 for the game, showing just how much Wycombe controlled the ball. But where we've failed in the past there, we did a good job making it very hard for them to get into a position to shoot. What I need to do better is hold the ball against the pressing/aggression that comes when we have a lead, and use that to get some easy chances.

Man of the Match: Sercombe (8.6)
Goals: Sercombe, Armstrong (8.3)
Notables: Seager (7,8), Garmston (7.7), Baldwin (7.5), Pym (7.2), Davies (7.3), Oakley (7.1)

-- The win puts at 15 points, along with 4 other teams. We have the worst goal differential though, so we're in 18th.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote