View Single Post
Old 09-05-2011, 04:41 AM   #750
Radii
Head Coach

February 27th, 2019

FA Cup Fifth Round Replay

Ipswich(3-3-23, 19th) @ Aston Villa(2nd, EPL)

Aston Villa are 1:2 favorites at their place, making us 9:2 dogs.

GK: Mason
D: Kirkland/Fryers/McKerr/Berthet
M: Guarin/Donnelly/Mariga/Gordon
AMC: Kang
ST: Constantino

I give Chris Mason the start in goal. He's been playing fairly well, of course I've been setting him aside in our rougher matches but he played in the first match against these guys. Donnelly and Berthet are back in today. I go with Fryers/McKerr at DC with Henrique unavailable. I don't like it at all but I'm not letting Alex Bruce near the field.

5': They pass the ball around the left side. Their dangerman Delph receives it, crosses into the area, a header... Mason dives and just stops it, we clear it behind for a corner. We clear the corner, they retain possession but end up with a shot going wide in the end.

9': Their man Delph with a free kick from 25 yards out, he bends it around the wall, Mason dives again.. and just gets enough of his fingertips to it to push it aside. WHEW.

24': We have a corner, taken short to Fryers, he tries a shot, blocked, it falls to Constantino 18 yards out, he shoots, it deflects like a pinball through the area, the keeper gets to it and shoves it away, it seems like we've got a man there, we shoot... but wide. That was WILD.

33': We attack but Constantino loses the ball and they counter... they get a man forward behind the defense, he's approaching the penalty area, Zeki Fryers comes in with a sliding tackle and wins the ball away, great defense!

HALF: There were a lot of highlights in that half considering I dropped back to only key highlights to speed things along a little. And damn our defense played a great, great half. Mason was flying all over saving the ball (now of course that is in part b/c he's so young and has to make great saves sometimes to make up for lack of anticipation and positioning). We made a number of clutch tackles and clearances, and we almost got ourselves a freak goal. They shoot 10 times, but 7 are from range. 5 are on target. We have 7 shots, 4 on target, and only 1 from long range which is really good for us! We're tackling much better than them and winning exactly 50% of our headers... can we make something magical happen in the second half?

46': Hah I was afraid of that. They go straight down the field, a cross comes in from the left to the far end of the 6 yard box, their man Young is there and heads it home. Kirkland takes full blame for that one, missing a header he should have won. 0-1

67': Gordon with a yellow. Looks like with 20 minutes flying by they're just shutting things down with the lead.

80': We have a corner, its taken short for Fryers again, and agin he shoots and its blocked. It falls towards Constantino, he jumps on it, and on a full volley strikes it into the net before the keeper can reposition himself!!! 1-1

FULL TIME: A second freak play gives us a goal, we hold up on defense really well and we're headed to extra time. I go ahead and use Adriano's second game here, putting him out at ML for Guarin. I also bring in Khan for an exhausted Kang and go to the 4-4-2.

99': We have it on offense, Kirkland passes to Donnelly, he spots Constantino 20 yards out, Constantino tries to turn by his man but he's tackled and loses the ball. He goes down... but no foul. They look to counter quickly. They win a header and I fear a through ball here... they get it to their star Delph, its a clear cut chance... but Mason rushes out then dives for the shot and stops it!! They recover, a pass into the area, their man Delph has it again, and Kirkland comes in with a perfect tackle to knock it away. Corner for Aston Villa. We clear it nicely... and counter attack, it goes forward to Constantino who makes a long run down the right... hm I really think he shoulda shot... he tries to pass it through the area but they intercept and put it out for a throw, and finally an unbelievably hectic sequence comes to an end.

103': We give up 2 corner kicks... the second is a header by one of their strikers that's high.

ET HALFTIME: I knew what my last sub would be but delayed it as long as possible due to the talent difference. Yebda in for Donnelly. I think we've reached a point where the fresh legs matter more.

106': A highlight right after their kickoff... slow buildup, lots of passes, but in the end defender Darragh Byrne tackles Khan and its a yellow... I didn't note the first one but that's his second yellow and he's out of the match!

118': We have a corner, taken to Fryers, back out to Gordon, a cross goes in... and cleared. They push ahead on offense, getting it easily forward to their strikers, ST Derdiyok gets his foot to it... Mason with another diving stop!! What a game!!!!

That's it! Now... can we possibly beat them on penalties?

Penalty Kicks

Gamez for Villa: Hits the left post!! No good!!
Khan: Shoots right.. keeper saves

Derdiyok (Villa): Into the right side of the net.
Constantino: Saved by the keeper, he hit it right at him and the keeper didn't move.

0-1

Delph (Villa): Off the left crossbar and in.
Yebda: Up high and to the left, in the net!

1-2

Young (Villa): Right down the middle and Mason breaks left early. Goal.
Gordon: HE shoots left... keeper dives that way.. and makes the stop. Game over.

Aston Villa 1p : 1 Ipswich

Aston Villa wins 3-1 on penalties.

What an exciting match!! A great, great effort by our guys. Their goalscorer is man of the match.

Goal: Constantino (7.5)
Assist: Fryers (7.0)
Notables: Mason (7.1), Berthet (7.0), McKerr (7.0), Donnelly (7.3)

They shot 29 times, putting 14 on target. Our 17 year old kid Chris Mason was everywhere. He needs to fill out... a lot... before he'll be a legit keeper even for the Championship, but he was really fun to watch today.

-- We were expected to make the 4th round of the FA Cup. Making the 5th round makes the board and the fans happy, always nice to exceed expectations.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote