View Single Post
Old 09-11-2019, 12:01 AM   #466
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
This is what I could find...

"Btw, I don't quite know Mitch Trubisky well enough to denigrate him, but if you have him (or DeShone Kizer) over Deshaun Watson as an NFL QB I seriously question that judgment."

"Thought he showed a lot of the required intangibles last night but some of those throws in the 1st half were pretty rough."

"Watson doesn't have an NFL skill set right now. He's mediocre from the pocket, but worth taking a 3rd or 4th round shot on. With all the change in football, the biggest thing is still passing the ball from inside the tackles. I don't get the Kizer hype at all, but Trubisky is a better prospect."

"If anyone drafts Trubisky in the first round they should be fired tomorrow."

"The only knock against him is that he only started 13 games. That's it.

He's got enough size, enough arm, a photographic memory, and he put up video game numbers. 68% completions, 3748 yards, 8.4 ypa, 30 TD, 6 INT. Athletic enough to run for over 300 yards and 5 TDs. He looked great in his spot duty the year before while Marquise Williams was putting up a pretty good season himself.

I'd take him over every other QB in this draft without hesitation. I look at him as a late first rounder, the only legit first round QB this year, solely due to lack of experience. Taking him top 10 isn't something I would do unless I was a good team that had gotten that pick through trade, but he and Nathan Peterman are the two guys I think have the best chance of actually being something in the NFL."

"I think Trubisky is the 4th best QB in this draft.

Personally I like Watson, Kaya and Peterman more."

"In all seriousness, I do like Watson and would probably take him before the other QBs. I'm just not sure anyone in this top 4 list (Trubisky, Watson, Mahomes and Kizer) will be an impact guy."

"Poor Bears fans."

"Bears paid a lot, but I think they trumped a lot of teams who wanted Trubisky there. If he turns out to be a stud Cleveland will be a laughing stock for another 10 years."

"I'll take Trubisky over Watson every day of the week, but not Mahomes."
This post is useless without usernames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carman Bulldog View Post
I'm speculating that the prevailing wisdom among the upper levels of management (and ownership) in the NFL is that you are still better off with a prototypical pocket passer (read white) as opposed to some of the more athletic modern style quarterbacks (read black). Or at the very least it's a safer pick.

I personally feel that Russell Wilson has probably had a huge influence in helping to change this over the past few years. But I think the train of thought still exists. There's probably a confirmation bias going on, where people look to the JaMarcus Russell's and EJ Manuel's as evidence of "athleticism" being overvalued.

Even just looking at guys like Patrick Mahomes and Lamar Jackson, both had question marks about the ability of their skills translating to the NFL. No one ever thinks about how a player can change the position but rather how they will have to change and adapt to the NFL.

This article here sums up what I believe a lot of decision making people feel:

Russell Wilson, MVP candidate, strengths and weaknesses | SI.com
Are we conflating skin color with style? No question NFL front offices did too for awhile, but Jamarcus Russell wasn't athletic, he had a huge arm. Just like conflating Mahomes & Jackson in the same sense is insane. (And all along I think I was on board the "Lamar Jackson can throw the football when playing bad defenses" and "Mahomes may not be a great QB but he has a howitzer" trains all along.)
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote