View Single Post
Old 08-30-2014, 09:30 PM   #535
NoSkillz
College Benchwarmer

Wed. October 2, 2024

UEFA Champions League - Group C
Hoffenheim (1-0-0, 3 points, 2nd) vs. Dover (1-0-0, 3 points, 1st)
Rhein-Neckar-Arena, Sinsheim, Germany

Betting Odds: Hoffenheim: 6-4 (Favourites) Draw: 2-1 Dover: 13-8
Past Meetings: 0W 0D 0L

TSG 1899 Hoffenheim finished 3rd in the German First Division behind powerhouses FC Bayern and HSV but the club is off to a poor start this season, sitting with only six points through six games and way back in 12th place in the 18 team league. They did win the league a year earlier, in 2023 so there is some pedigree and they spent a TON of money in the transfer market, bringing in nine players and splashing £80 million to do it! The highest transfer fee went for DC Ali Ben Ahmed, a 26 year old Tunisian international. Their top goal scorer for the last seven years has been Federico Castro and the 29 year old is at it again this year. He’s got great pace and technical ability but he’s injured and will miss today’s game.

We’re going to make a couple changes today, starting in goal by putting in German Ingo Wilke and also starting countryman Benedikt Raab in place of in-form Jose. I just wanted to give him a break today but he’ll be available should the need arise. Lyubomir Kunchev is on the bench today and Graham Allan will be our striker substitute if needed.

Dover: 4-4-2 Control
GK - I. Wilke
D - Renato Gaucho, C. Contreras, R. Hamon, S. Loucif
M - A. Bamba, N. Cairney, B. Raab, G. Bolis
S - A. Broomes, Chiquinho
Bench - Rafinha, S. Nasri, E. Harvey, Jose, L. Kunchev, M. Pedersen, G. Allan

Hoffenheim are in a 4-4-2 diamond formation with Jose Guzman and Luciano up front and David Ospina in goal. I tell the team this is a winnable affair.

3’ - We come out guns ablazin’ right away with a Benedikt Raab shot off the crossbar then eventually win a corner. Raab takes the kick and sends it to the far post to Claudio Contreras and he heads it off a defender and IN! Great start men! DOVER GOAL 1-0

10’ - Hoffenheim now have a corner but it’s headed out by Neil Cairney and Chiquinho takes it. They only have two men back and Chiquinho sends a long ball forward over the defence and Andy Broomes gets there first. He’s in on goal and beats Ospina with the shot and it’s just inside the post and IN! Wow! DOVER GOAL 2-0

12’ - Renato Gaucho has the ball and makes a horrific gaffe, giving the ball straight to Ibrahim Sanogo, Hoffenheim’s talented right midfielder. Sanogo immediately feeds Guzman at the top of the area and he sends a quick shot past WIlke and it’s in. That’s two games in a row that Renato Gaucho has made a bad play resulting in a goal for the opposition. Awful. HOFFENHEIM GOAL 2-1

16’ - We have another corner and it’s headed out. Raab gets it again and against claims of a handball, he sends a pass into the area to Arsene Bamba, who absolutely RIFLES a shot into the top of the net past Ospina. Hoffenheim complain but it counts. What a shot by Bamba, his first goal of the year and this game is nuts already! DOVER GOAL 3-1

HALFTIME - Hoffenheim played well the last fifteen minutes of the half but despite them holding a 53% possession edge, we were the far more dangerous team that half. We outshot them 15-9 (9-2 on target). Raab was superb that half, which is great to see! I’m pleased overall so far.

48’ - WHAT IS GOING ON!?!?! Now Andy Broomes gets tackled hard and has the cross of doom above his head. Thankfully, he can continue for now but my goodness, this is absolutely RIDICULOUS. We simply can’t keep withstanding injuries to our strikers.

50’ - Renato Gaucho is having a shocking game, as he makes an ill-advised pinch and that opens up a passing lane to the dangerous Sanogo. He cuts in on goal and shoots low past Wilke and it’s in. Holy smokes. HOFFENHEIM GOAL 3-2

55’ - This goalkeeper Ospina has been SENSATIONAL, making two point blank saves on Bamba and Chiquinho within minutes. My goodness.

58’ - I’m at a loss for words, as now Rayane Hamon is taken down on a vicious tackle and he calls for the bench. Hamon has always been injury prone and this isn’t a good development. He needs to come out and Saber Nasri is in. DOVER INJURY - Rayane Hamon

70’ - Andy Broomes comes out and in comes Graham Allan. Again, Broomes was able to continue after his injury but he will be evaluated after the game.

86’ - Out comes Arsene Bamba and in comes Mads Pedersen.

Man, what a game. The injuries…oh my the injuries. Please be gentle…

Hoffenheim 2 - 3 Dover
Goals - Claudio Contreras (7.8), Andy Broomes (7.5), Arsene Bamba (7.6)
Assists - Benedikt Raab 2 (8.3), Chiquinho (7.6)
Man of the Match - Benedikt Raab
Other Dover Notables - Salim Loucif (7.2)
Attendance - 24,662

Hoffenheim held 52% of the ball but we outshoot them in a wild affair 24-18 (14-5 on target). Their keeper was excellent and Benedikt Raab was a deserved Man of the Match winner for his stellar breakout performance.

-- We are given £696,000 for the win, as usual.

-- Oh my, the injuries. The initial word on Andy Broomes is that it isn’t serious - he’ll miss about a week and a half with a gashed leg. Thankfully, the news is also good on Rayane Hamon, as he suffered a bruised shin. I could get him through the Chelsea game with an injection but I don’t believe in them and will just leave it to the physios. He’ll miss about a week. Whew!

DOVER INJURY: Andy Broomes (Gashed Leg - 10 days)
DOVER INJURY: Rayane Hamon (Bruised Shin - 6 days)

-- In other Group C action, Palermo knocked off Hibernian 2-0 and they are now tied with Hoffenheim for second in the group. Also winning in other group play are OM, Man City, the surprising Club Brugge, Real Madrid (destroyed Galatasaray 6-0) and Juventus.

Premier League Update

-- We have a Sunday matinee versus Chelsea and watch as Sheffield Wednesday upset Manchester United 3-1 on Saturday. City can only manage a draw against upstart Newcastle, the team that beat us early in the year.

Dover U18 Update

-- Alberto Velazquez continues to tear it up for the U18s, scoring two more goals in our 5-0 win over Brentford. Freddie Laird also bagged a brace and Neil Evans added a single.

International Update

-- 21 of our players are called up by their countries for the upcoming international break.

Next Up

-- We travel to London and face a stiff test against Chelsea in Premier League play.

Last edited by NoSkillz : 08-30-2014 at 09:34 PM.
NoSkillz is offline   Reply With Quote