View Single Post
Old 01-18-2019, 11:43 AM   #1078
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

South Forsyth - County Championship @ Cumming Aquatic Center - 1/19

The high school county championship is this weekend, and this already long meet, that allows all the high schools to recognize their seniors, just got much longer as they've reconfigured this event to be a prelim/final format. Meaning kids will compete as normal in the afternoon, then return in the evening to swim finals. It's definitely going to be a long day.

To complicate things in this meet, the year round swimmers from SwimAtlanta are going to drop taper for this meet, which will heavily skew results, whereas Gold is still planning to have practice that morning, so Bear and Bailey will suffer from that arrangement as well.

The South coach has done weird things all season with the lineups, especially the relays. The kids believe it is her attempt to get as many kids qualified for the state meet as possible. Unfortunately, it also serves to hurt the team overall. In this meet, the girls have a legitimate chance of winning county especially with their depth, but the relays are put together very poorly and it could cost them in the end. On the boys side, the team has almost no depth so she's loaded up her relays to try and maximize points, but given the teams, I don't think this strategy will have a major impact.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bailey - as I mentioned a few posts back, Bailey has been recovering from a concussion, and she's still not fully back. She's going to be severely out of shape for this one and it will unquestionably impact her results.

#2 Girls 200 Yard Medley Relay - D Team - with Bailey's concussion, she probably doesn't need to be counted on for one of the top relays, but looking at the names in the top 3, I can tell there are probably going to be cases where the lower teams have swimmers out-split the A team. Bailey is in the fly leg.

#6 Girls 200 Yard IM (2:19.23) - Bailey comes in seeded 10th, but she likely will finish lower than that, and I don't expect she will make finals. The 2:19 time is a high school best not a personal best, but I don't expect her to better the seed time.

#12 Girls 100 Yard Butterfly (1:02.40) - Bailey is seeded 7th with her high school best time of 1:02. Her personal best is a 1:00...which would put her 4th, but again she probably won't touch these times, I expect a 1:05 or 1:06.

#24 Girls 400 Yard Free Relay - D Team - Same situation as the medley relay...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bear - you will notice Bear is only in 1 individual event and 3 relays. This is part of the aforementioned chance to maximize points by loading up the relays.

#1 Boys 200 Yard Medley Relay - A Team - Bear has the free leg, Jake on fly and Riley on back...I'm not sure she has the guys swimming the correct legs, I'm not sure Jake shouldn't be on back and Riley on Free, Bear on Fly...but regardless they are seeded 4th, and I don't believe even if everyone of the guys swims their best they will have a shot at 3rd. They also should have 4th pretty locked up. The coach actually could have worked in a couple of other swimmers here and not had any adverse impact on the teams finish and score.

#15 Boys 500 Yard Freestyle (4:51.40) - - Bear is seeded 3rd here behind teammate Jake and a year rounder from Dynamo Daniel. Coming out of practice, I don't think Bear will beat his seed time, but given it's pretty far off his personal best, he might finish in the neighborhood

#17 Boys 200 Yard Freestyle Relay - A Team - Riley and Jake join Bear again in this relay. It's a tough turnaround from the 500 for Jake and Bear. They are seeded 3rd, but I don't think they can touch 2nd...but unlike the medley, they might all be needed to hold on to 3rd.

#23 Boys 400 Yard Freestyle Relay - A Team - Riley and Jake join Bear for the 3rd time on a relay and again they are seeded 3rd, and they won't even come close to 2nd place, as the top 2 teams are absolutely loaded. They also have a pretty big lead on 4th, so again the coach probably could have substituted another swimmer here and given one of the guys a second individual event to swim with no adverse impact to the team score.

Last edited by Breeze : 01-22-2019 at 08:12 AM.
Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote