View Single Post
Old 02-06-2019, 10:10 AM   #1090
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

2019 GHSA 6-7A State Swim Meet @ Georgia Tech - 2/8 - 2/9

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bailey

#12 Girls 100 Yard Butterfly (1:04.23) - Bailey is seeded with a 1:04.23 time, which is just an indication of how lazy the coach is. This isn't even her best time from the season. That would be a 1:03.88. Last year at this meet she went around a 1:02.5, her personal best from December's year round state meet is a 1:00 low. I'm hoping she can improve on last year's time in this event. If she can get anywhere close to her personal best it would be phenomenal, but unfortunately, even a personal best swim isn't going to get her to finals. To make the top 16 she'd need to swim in the 58 second range.

Bailey also qualified in the 200 IM, and based on the information I can find she should have the 4th fastest time on the team and she should be competing in this event, however, the coach dropped her. The seed time entered for the girl that replaced Bailey doesn't beat Bailey's best for the season (but given she didn't have Bailey's best time for her 100 fly, I'm not sure the other girl's seed time is her best either). I've tried to find times from all of the team's meets, but I can't locate a couple, and without knowing for sure that she's incorrectly dropped Bailey, I'm not going to speak up. Bailey will not be in any relays at state.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bear

#1 Boys 200 Yard Medley Relay (1:45.67) - This was probably the coaches biggest blunder of the meet. For some strange reason she elected to put her 4 best swimmers in this event. During the county meet this same group of 4 managed to finish 5th in a county of 7 teams, and yet she felt this was her best change to get a relay into the top 16?????? Bear will swim the free leg in the relay and they will finish in the 30s overall. Such a waste...not to mention this race is right before Bear's next event.

#3 Boys 200 Yard Freestyle - (1:53.80) - Bear has only raced this event 3 times this year and other than Senior State where he went a 1:46.69 he hasn't come close to his personal best of 1:45.91. If he can at least match his performance from last year 1:48s, he'll have a shot at the B final. It would take a personal best swim for him to get into the A final, and given that Bear will not be fully tapered for this event (whereas most of the people he'll be swimming against will be), I don't expect him to reach the finals.

#15 Boys 500 Yard Freestyle - (4:59.77) - - Bear hasn't been on his game with this event yet this sesason. In fact, even at Senior State he was a good 7 seconds off his personal best time of 4:41. However, if he can get to the 4:47 he posted back at Senior State in December he could make the B finals. A finals will take a swim at least approaching his personal best, and again, the lack of a full taper will probably prevent that from happening.

#17 Boys 200 Yard Freestyle Relay - (1:36.90) - As you can probably tell from the event number, this event is directly after the 500 free. Bear will have very little time to recover. Not that it really matters as the team will be lucky to finish in the high 30s overall. Bear should have been matched with the other 3 swimmers from the medley relay in the 400 Free. If those 4 where together in that event, they would come in seeded 16th and they could possibly score. However, the coach obviously didn't bother to do any research on this and ultimately wasted her relays.

Last edited by Breeze : 02-06-2019 at 10:39 AM.
Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote