View Single Post
Old 10-25-2016, 02:18 PM   #539
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Sri Lanka Rankings Update

Girish Girsh -- 1st singles(unchanged). Enjoy it while it lasts. At 40-7, he's ten wins shy of this point last year and has already lost one more match than all of last season combined. A couple of his worst defeats have come in the Slams, complicating matters. He's still one of the top contenders, make no mistake -- just not the best anymore, and the rankings will soon reflect that.

Prakash Mooljee -- 5th to 2nd singles, 2418th to NR doubles. Mooljee's 46th match of the year was the RG final, and it was the first time all season that he was outplayed. It's happened twice in the past month. That's about as negatively as it can be looked at; he's still 49-3 and all but certain to be #1 by the end of the US Open. Well before his 25th birthday. The run Tomas Niklas is on certainly makes things interesting though; he's still the first and best of his generation, but Mooljee cannot rest on his laurels. It'll be interesting to see who shakes out as his top challengers in a year's time or so. For now, the assault on #1 continues. Per usual, he'll save himself along with the other top players for the Canada Masters next.

Anil Mehul -- 4th to 5th singles, 1045th to 1047th doubles. Mehul is still doing well enough to play doubles only very rarely. His main goal right now is trying to win the constant battle with Caratti for 4th, and being as consistent as he can. The Cojanovic loss at Wimbledon stings, but the run in Queens basically made up for it going in. At 37-9, he's still winning 80% of his matches which is an elite clip.

Shreya Ujjaval -- 12th to 8th singles, 216th doubles. Ujjaval has been overplaying badly all year, and staying too active in doubles for a player of his stature, which has been driving me nuts. Probably the best thing that happened to him was a first-round qualifying doubles loss at Wimbledon, allowing him to make that run which eliminated all the bad stuff earlier in the year basically. He stands at 35-10, and has won half of his 25 doubles matches. 70 matches total already. That's a lot.

Shyam Senepathy -- 61st to 67th singles. Still in a holding pattern really.

Ritwik Dudwadkar -- 14th to 19th juniors. It's been a moderately disappointing season, as he's missed a couple of breakthrough chances. At 24-8, 9-5 in the doubles, he's definitely run into more opposition going up against the top, more quickly-developing players. This is the point where I figure it makes sense to start toying with going into some amateur events, but Dudwadkar probably won't do that as he has an opportunity to try to gain a few juniors points and stay in the seeds for the big events. It's definitely worthwhile for him to try.

Manager Ranking -- 1st(unchanged), 48.2k to 48.5k points. For the first time in seven years, one of my players didn't win Wimbledon. That was the biggest factor in making things level off for me over the spring.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote