View Single Post
Old 08-25-2008, 12:24 PM   #5
BYU 14
Coordinator

Defensive Preview

Again a lot of talent, led by what can potentially be a very physical linebacking corps and some strong kids up front. Again we play a 4-4/cover 3 base and will be in this Defense over 90% of the time. In goal line situation we will run man and also drop our rover back and play a cover 4 in very long yardage of prevent situations.

Defensive Line
Defensive End - Cody R, Jessie M, Chris P
Defensive Tackle – Adam L, Marcus B, Matt, M
Nose Guard - Raoul H, Bobby C, Damian C
Stud End - Malik T, Justin T, Andrew C

A really big group inside who should control their gaps well against most anyone we face. Raoul in particular is quick off the ball and tough to move for a big man. He doesn’t play any Offense so we can get 35-40 plays a game from him hopefully. Our DE plays in a 7 technique (inside the TE) so he is to be good with is hands and strong to fight across down blocks and maintain the C gap. We feel we have 3 guys capable here. Stud End is our pass rush guy and also has weak side leverage responsibilities. Malik us tall, rangy and gets off of blocks well and we won’t lose much when Justin is in there either.

Linebackers
Sam – Antonio A, Chuks A, Joseph M
Mike – Dylan U, Francisco S, Joseph F
Will – Jesus G, Mario R, Joseph O
Rover – James O, Joshua K, Marcus R

We have done some moving around here after pads came on, but the two inside guys (Dylan and Jesus) have looked solid from the beginning. Both are big agile kids and will give us the physical presence we need inside. Right now they both need to get a little more reactive on their keys, but we open up with a team that runs mostly I, and their keys against this Offense are much easier than the Wing-T keys we had to work for our scrimmage. Antonio looks fairly entrenched at the outside, but Chuks can hit and will push him once he gets caught up (he came out a week late). Rover is up in the air and I am waiting for one of the top three to show me some physicality. James has it, he is struggling to trust his keys and playing slow because of it. Joshua and Marcus are both good with technique and will get early reps until someone separates themselves from the pack.

Secondary
Field Corner – Tywon S, Guillermo N, Jamal K
Boundary Corner – Robert M, Shayne M, Andrew J
Free Safety – Jacob S, John V, Anthony R

Tywon is a great cover guy and will line up to the TE side, which means he will need to be physical if there is not a flanker to his side. Guillermo is not afraid to stick it in there, but is not as good in coverage as Tywon, while Jamal K is an enigma. He plays twice as physical on the offensive side as he does on D and I am hoping it is just a comfort thing right now. The boundary corners will be our lockdown guys and all can cover well. In addition, Shayne is a tremendous hitter, but will not see the field much on D as right now he looks like a lock at #1 TB. Essentially this job is wide open for either Robert or Andrew to claim. Anthony is our best FS, but is out with a broken wrist. His cast comes off Friday, so he may be ready for game two, but will have to work his way back into the starting job. In the meantime both Jacob and John are fine and Louis G (Our leading QB candidate right now can play there as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantastic flying froggies View Post
excellent, another football program dynasty! I love this stuff!

I'll be following along.

Welcome aboard, I can't tell you how glad I am to get into game prep routine finally...Fall camp can be like Cabin fever sometimes and the Kids are getting real antsy to hit someone in other colors.

Last edited by BYU 14 : 08-25-2008 at 12:26 PM.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote