View Single Post
Old 09-02-2008, 11:59 PM   #18
BYU 14
Coordinator

Walk through tonight in half pads, 3/4 speed, light contact.

Skill kids came out first and stretched and then went through the situational passing plays (3rd and 7+ and 3rd and 4-6) for the week in skellies vs scout D in a 4 under 3 deep coverage, which our opponent will play. While we did this lineman stayed an extra 15 minutes in the class room to go over offensive rules/adjustments and defensive front adjustments.

They then joined us for our team stretch, then we went through a few brisk reps on each special team against air. Special focus on punt return getting the return team on the field and the defense off.

Next up I went through the 10 play script with both the first and second huddles alternating plays so both huddles ran every play in the script once. We did this vs a full defense, 3/4 speed to thud, nobody taken to the ground. Next came the short yardage plays. I have three select plays this week for 3rd/4th down, 3 yards to go or less.

Finally we lined up first team Defense and talked through formation adjustment and responsibilities one last time.

Normally this practice should go 3:30 to 5:00, but as it was the first pregame walk through of the season we ran 35 minutes over...arrgh!! Most of that was due to special teams as we take this area real serious, so we took a couple of extra reps in each area and also talked through some of the more important coaching points.

Tomorrow is the big day.....I will not be able to focus at all at work tomorrow!! After going through the depth chart we will have 39 kids in rotation tomorrow, not including special teams, where another 7-8 not in regular rotation will play. That is an all time high and speaks very well of our depth. Hopefully they all respond well in their first time under the lights. We also have no player starting both ways for the first time ever at this school, which is very encouraging. The previous low was 2 two way starters last year. The only bad news is our starting FB Jamal D will miss the first quarter as he our pre practice meeting yesterday and 4 rotation players will also miss the first quarter for missing the same reason.

Opening day at last

Last edited by BYU 14 : 09-03-2008 at 12:00 AM.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote