View Single Post
Old 09-16-2008, 10:49 PM   #28
BYU 14
Coordinator

Had our final walk through before our game at Deer Valley tomorrow and it was not as crisp as I like. This game will be a battle and will be won by the team that makes the fewest mistakes. This is the best freshman team they have had in probably 7-8 years and they will be looking for some payback after walloping we gave them last year. I finally got my hands on some film of them Sunday and they line up in a lot of different sets to try and take advantage of matchups or catch you lined up incorrectly. We stressed lining up against their different formations a lot yesterday and today, so hopefully being out of position won't be an issue.

They have a big line and some good athletes and their starters can definitely play with ours. We have more depth and my plan tomorrow will be to control the ball, wear them down and take control in the second half. Make no mistake though, this is worthy opponent and we will need to be at our best.

My biggest concern right now is pass coverage, they are a 50/50 run/pass team which is rare for freshmen and with one starting corner out injured and his backup missing practice today with an illness, we are not as solid as I would like. Offensively I think we got everything fixed we need, but they are very aggressive on defense (blitz 60-70% of the time) so we can not get rattled. We are stressing to the kids to just block your rules and everything else falls into place.

I have yet to use a trick play this year, so the one I had set for Maryvale is still in the chamber, I will run it tomorrow no matter what as I don't like hanging on to my "bullets" for so long
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote