View Single Post
Old 08-19-2011, 01:27 PM   #9
digamma
Torchbearer

Whiskey Review #3

Last night, I brought a bottle of Angel's Envy to a friend's birthday party. He had requested a bourbon that was medium sweet and not too hot. I had never had Angel's Envy before, but based on the description on the bottle it seemed like it might fit my buddy's tastes. The key to the bottle description is that it is finished in Port barrels. I figured that would add some sweetness, and at 86 proof, I knew that it would be manageable.

The smell of Angel's Envy was really nice. Definitely a hint of sweetness and you could pick up the port. To taste, it was sweet, but not in the pure caramel/vanilla you get from most sweet bourbons. I'd classify it as a little fruitier (again likely due to the port barrel), maybe cherry, but not giving up the full whiskey taste. The finish was smooth, with just about the right amount of spice.

I tried it again with an ice cube, but preferred it neat. The ice dilluted it a little too much for me.

At about $45 a bottle, Angel's Envy moves near the top of my list for mid-range bourbons. I really enjoyed it.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote