View Single Post
Old 12-26-2005, 03:41 PM   #8
hoopsguy
General Manager

With transfers upon us, now would be a good time to look at what have coming back next year, starting with the offense:

QB - JR Jack Burford has started for 1.5 years. He was a highly rated HS recruit (#40 in nation) and has come along well. Great touch and discipline, still has some room to grow. We need to keep him healthy enough to win games for us. If/when he gets hurt we have SO Harold Edwards as a fallback option. Edwards was another highly touted HS player (#30) who is coming along in the Bruins' system. Great touch, instincts, and a big arm are his strengths. Privately, I've been told his work ethic leaves something to be desired. Perhaps he enjoys being B.M.O.C a little too much, particularly since he hasn't earned that role yet. All in all, this position is not a priority for us.

RB - Oscar Gray is a walkon (#1863) made good. He is a two year starter who has compiled over 3,000 yards and 25 TDs already and is considering leaving a year early for the pros. Doesn't have prototypical speed, but accelerates well and understands how to run with and without the football. As good as Gray has been, he might not start next year. SO Derrick Brown was the #5 recruit in the nation prior to arriving in LA and he is just oozing potential. He has speed and agility that you can't teach. We plan to get him as many touches as possible, including some duty on kick returns. On top of everything else Derrick is very durable. If we have a compaint, perhaps he could be a little more aggressive. We have four players at this position and three are upperclassmen. We will need to look for depth here.

FB: A pile of suck. Three guys who have no business holding scholarships. Soph Hagood Morris is the best of the lot. We'll ask him to block and carry the ball every once in awhile when we are up (or down - gulp) 20 points. One senior here. We would love to add some talent at this position.

WR: There is some talent here, but it is raw and we could use some more bodies. There are five players here, four of which are underclassmen, and only two that should be on a good team. Gary Brewer was the #1 wideout in his HS class (#23 overall) and he moved into the UCLA starting lineup from day 1 last year. He has video-game caliber moves and knows how to use his speed. We expect him to play at the next level. Bill Stablein was much less heralded (#261) than his classmate Brewer but also came in to start as a freshman and contribute. He is a traditional possession receiver; he has a knack for getting open against zones and catches everything thrown at him. We need to bring in some more talent here to supplement these two but I'm happy with the foundation at wideout.

TE: Three decent players, two of which are seniors. This group might be better than the TEs I left behind on the other side of town. Pettis Larscheid is the starter and has amassed over 1200 yards in his college career. FR TJ Thomas will be a serviceable option for the next four years if we can't land a stud. He has good hands and is equally adept at run and pass blocking.

OT: These guys stink so much they make our fullbacks look like All-Americans. Huge, giant need. No seniors, 2 freshmen. I'm excited about the opportunity to cut these guys in the near future.

OG: 5 players, 3 seniors. Both starters are seniors and Rod Wolford is a real talent. Rod has started the last two seasons and amassed 46 pancakes and 28 key run blocks. Rod works like a madman and is pretty agile for a 300 pounder. Bill Westbrook is a run-blocking fool who should attempt to improve in the passing game for his final season.

C: see OT.

On the offensive side of the ball we need a ton of help in the trenches. After graduation this year there is not a single guy on the roster right now that I want to waste my time yelling at for the next few years. The secondary need is at FB, with depth at RB ranking as a very distant 3rd.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote