View Single Post
Old 01-05-2020, 09:19 PM   #30
Edward64
Head Coach

Food in Oahu

TBH, it was disappointing. I can go to a Asian restaurant and get a cheap but good meal for $9-$12. Lots of Asian restaurants there but they are more like an additional 25-30% and the presentation was crap, kinda like just pile it on and pretty generic (I am sure if we went to high end restaurants it would be better), not a lot of pride in serving/presenting the food.

The exception was Japanese restaurants. Sushi and Ramen were pretty good albeit with a 25-30% premium.

I tried local (I think) Hawaiian food at L&L Hawaiian BBQ and Rainbow Drive-In. Edible but not great. Also ate at a couple food trucks (one in Northshore that was in one of the Dive Restaurant series) and they were pretty sad too. Get use to 2 scoops of rice and some macaroni & cheese with everything.

Did try the Spam Musubi at a restaurant and bought one from a grocery store. Glad I tried it but I do spam better at home IMO. Also went through a Burger King to eat in the car on the way to the Cultural Center. A Whopper Meal was about $9-$10.

In summary, food ain't that great in Oahu and not worth the 25-30% premium vs mainland.

Last edited by Edward64 : 01-05-2020 at 09:25 PM.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote