View Single Post
Old 02-14-2022, 09:20 AM   #36
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
You and I are apparently on the same vacation wavelength or something!

We're going to Kauai at the end of June into early July for 12 days. Celebrating my mom's birthday, both girls' graduations, and our 25th anniversary. My parents have a timeshare with Marriott. Michelle and I went back in 2005 but that's the last time we've been.

Assuming they still require a negative Covid test within 72 hours of arriving, I'm curious how that works. Any kind of test? The last test I took a few weeks back took 5 days to get a result. If that is still in place in June, I'm going to be nervous as hell one of us is going to test positive or not get a result quickly enough.

My wife is getting really quarantine stir crazy and I've been much more reluctant to do stuff, even though I'm usually the one with wanderlust. We're getting to the point where the isolation is getting to be a mental health issue with her. Meanwhile, I like that it's half like another country in that they're like "yeah, we want you vaxxed before coming over". Can you fake that, yeah. Can that Karens and Kens that would say "I want to go to Hawaii" as their first choice be the same people who definitely would fake a vax card or test? Hell yes. But at least there are some barricades in place. So that was the balance I was trying to strike.

Yes, we had a bunch of free nights that cheap me wants to maximize value on - but anyone who plans travel knows everything has to line up there: doesn't do any good to have cheap hotels if flights are astronomical, etc. But relative to what it costs and what other vacations are costing right now, it's actually a relative bargain to what it usually is. Luxury goods and vacations are way up across the board (just like a lot of things). Meanwhile, Hawaii seems to be the same expensive trip it always is, but it hasn't jumped /as much/ in price. Looking at opportunity cost, if before, it cost about the same as a week long Disney trip plus a week long trip to Seattle, now it only costs about 70% of that.

Right now, what ABC said is what it appears to be for COVID - just upload your vaccine card into their app and you should be good. Doesn't mean it will be the same this summer but that's all it is now.

New Mexico for us was really obvious last year just because it's the "closest" interesting thing to us that we felt was mostly pandemic-safe. We've been wanting to go to New Orleans for a while now but that's a lot of indoor stuff. Similarly, there's just not a ton of outdoors stuff if you head east out of Houston unless you're a big fan of Civil War battlefields. Really not much if you go north and South to Mexico with international travel during a pandemic - no thanks. So west made a lot of sense.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 02-14-2022 at 09:20 AM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote