View Single Post
Old 02-05-2019, 07:55 PM   #1
sabotai
General Manager

Very Simple Football Sim (and other projects), A Python-Learning Dynasty

A few years ago, there were several dynasties involving the programming language Python. That inspired me to start learning it, too, and I've dabbled here and there since. One of my goals this year is to finally dive in into Python and get reasonably good at it.

I'm probably going to make a ton of newbie mistakes along the way, even though I've been using programming languages since the 1980s.

In some ways (maybe just a few), those who learn Python as their first programming language had an easier time starting out than me. I spent several years using C++ exclusively, and then moved on to C# for the past decade (and PASCAL and several others the decade before C++). Object-Oriented Programming is just the way I see things in code. After a few years of using Python, it still feels wrong to me to declare a variable without explicitly declaring it's type. It feels wrong to just type a list of commands instead nesting everything inside a class. It feels wrong just indenting code rather using { }. Learning Python has been a bit of a culture shock to my OOP structured brain.

Very Simple Football Sim

I love Very Detailed Sports Sims as much as anyone. Sometimes I'm in the mood to spend 30+ minutes looking over an opponent's roster, making tweaks to my game plan/tactics/lineups. Looking through a list of 50+ players trying to determine just the right FA signing, player to draft, etc. And then spending another 20-30 minutes on the actual game, making adjustments, watching my team slowly inch towards victory of defeat.

And sometimes I want to blow through a few seasons in the time it takes to watch an episode of Law and Order.

Not a lot of Very Simple Sims out there anymore, so I figured I'd make my own as one of the projects I'll make to help up my Python skillz.

Last edited by sabotai : 02-05-2019 at 08:32 PM.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote