View Single Post
Old 04-18-2019, 05:59 PM   #88
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
Pics pls k thx when you get a chance!

As requested.

First up, I have 8 City Pickers Patio Garden Boxes on my deck. I've have them 5 or 6 years and have had good yields from them. Once the growing season is over, I clean them out and store them on the deck under a tarp for the winter and have only had one broken wheel over the years, so they're fairly hard wearing.

This year they're all planted from seeds, 6 of the 8 have sprouted. Only cucumbers and egg plant not through yet. This may be the last year for this setup, we're probably replacing the deck with something covered later this year:

Early leader are the beans, shooting up and probably going to need staking up soon. From previous years, my best yield will come from something I have no idea how to use, tomatillos one year, habanero peppers the next, jalapenos last year, so going by that record there's a good chance I'll have a monster parsnips harvest this year.

First try this year is brussel sprouts. I'm not even sure what brussel sprout plants look like, but they're going to need thinned out. Especially the little clump at the front where I dropped the seed packet when i was sowing them.

Down at ground level I have the raised garden, nothing planted but the plan here is 8 bought cherry/grape tomato plants round a basil plant on one half, and overflow from the deck when I need to do some thinning in the other half. So more brussel sprouts and hopefully cucumbers.

I have gardening fabric under it, I didnt want to use it as opinion seems divided but Aldi had it on sale. Cant say no to a bargain. Soil is all bagged Raised Garden soil from Home Depot. I'm also planning on putting a small mesh fence round it (Aldi again) just to keep the rabbits and groundhogs out, but that's stretching my diy skills to the max so far.

One early failure are my jalapeno plants. Last year I got over 100 jalapenos from two plants, so I looked into wintering jalapeno plants. I followed the expert advice, but I now have two dead twigs in pots with no sign of coming back. So they're bound for the trash.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote