View Single Post
Old 07-11-2014, 07:46 AM   #448
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Long Course State Meet Update

Gold held their Long Course State Meet dinner last night. Most of the dinner is a pep talk for the qualifiers, congratlating them on the hard work and motivating/urging them to swim well at the meet. The other main focus of the dinner is the announcement of the relays. Using the usaswimming site, I had pretty much already determined what the relays would look like, but last night was the official announcement (with the caveat that a swimmer can be replaced if the team determines someone is swimming better on that day).

As I expected Bailey will swim the fly for the B Team in both the 200 and 400 Medley Relay. I was hopeful her 32 second fly in the 50 at Stu Hixon might have been close enough to the top flyer's time (Anna), that she would move to a different stroke, but unfortunately no. Still having just turned 12, it is a nice accomplishment for her to make the relay at all in long course.

Gold fields 2 relay teams for each event at State, which, obviously means 8 total swimmers. Bear was 9th in both Free Relays. Not surprising given that Bear's strength's are more endurance related events, but sad for him as he loves swimming the relays.

The surprise of the night however, was learning that Brett will swim Breast for the B Team in both the 200 and 400 Medley. We were completely blown away by this...obviously with him not having a state cut time, we didn't expect that there would be any way he would qualify for a relay. However, 3 kids from Gold that had faster times than he did aged up over the Summer and are now 15, and of the other 2 in front of him, 1 will swim Breast on the A relay, and the other get's the A Fly stroke, leaving Brett as the next choice. I guess he could get bumped if someone else is swimming well during the meet. I haven't had a chance to talk with him about this revelation as he spent the night with Seth. I'm sure he's pretty pumped up right now though.

I will fill in details for the State Meet soon...
Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote