Thread: RPG Thread
View Single Post
Old 07-10-2019, 04:02 PM   #1
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

RPG Thread

So, just three weeks away from GenCon 2019. I wish I could be there, but my health and financial situation are both pretty dire, so.. but a bunch of new stuff coming out (Shadowrun 6th edition!), should be interesting.

Oh, and just as an aside, I'm planning to run a play by discord game of D&D 5th edition now that the Acquisitions, INC book is out. TK and SackAttack have expressed interest. We do have a couple spots open if folks want

For those of you who don't know, Acquisitions, Inc is a Campaign run by the Penny Arcade folks that combines D&D with dark office humor. "Remember, by offering your hirelings an unpaid internship, you're offering more then a wage, you're offering real life on the job training!". They did a book with Wizards of the Coast, and I found it humorous enough to provide my own take on it.

I tried for the same humorous worldview:

Throughout the Realms, and indeed, across the Planes of existence (if you're one of those hippies who claim there's other worlds than Faerun), there are many organizations that are well known, for one reason or another, for weal or woe. The Zhentarim. The Lords Alliance. The Cult of the Dragon. But today, we speak of none other than the Eye of the Collector.

Who, you may say? Wait, aren't they a tiny little organization of know-nothings and do-even-less? The only reason they're at all known is their relentless advertising, and willingness to lend their name to any group of ne'r-do-wells that are willing to pay a franchise fee? Well. That's their cover, and it has fooled many. But not those in the know.

You see. the Eye is, in one way or another the greatest procurer of flim-flam artists, con men, thugs, and various flavor of murderhobos Faerun has ever experienced. They have had their hidden hands in events that have shaken Faerun to its core, that not more than 12.43% of Faerunian large-scale commerce does NOT have the stamp of the Eye in one way or another. Their cover guise has served them well. But even the most resillient of groups such as the Eye of the Collector needs fresh blood. They are ruthless in weeding out those who don't fit their exacting standards. Sure, there are groups that claim to be Eye-affiliated, but you wouldn't trust to guard a tent, never mind search for an artifact of world-altering power.

But that is part of their grand facade. While people sneer at these "Eye-wannabes", true members of the Eye of the Collector can earn great amounts of respect amongst people who see them for what they truly are, the elite of the elite in a world full of elite. With that comes great compensation, of course, but for a lot of their members, it's the ability to change the world that draws them to us.

And you, my friend, have been drawn in. We sense the seeds of greatness in you and your companions. Normally, we would send you out on many seperate quests of great danger before we reveal ourselves to you. But.. we sense that you are different. That instead of proving yourself to us, we need to prove ourselves to you.

So. We would like to offer you a franchise of the Eye of the Collector, and instead of the normal 40% for the first 10 years we would receive, we will reduce it to a mere 15%, plus your various monthly fees, of course.

Greatness is calling, my friends. Are you going to answer the Eye and assume the greatness we see in you?

(Warning: We are not responsible for giving you missions that result in death, dismemberment, and vast amounts of property damage. Nor do we assume any responsibility for any cursed items,cursed party members, or cursed payment.)

SirFozzie is offline   Reply With Quote