View Single Post
Old 07-22-2014, 11:44 AM   #458
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Georgia 14U Long Course Championships - RESULTS – Day 4

Bailey

200 Fly : 2:50.15 – Seeded 8/30 – Day 4 – For the first time ever, Andy instructed Bailey to take the 200 Fly out fast. Typically, he tells her to build the race, but this time he wanted her attacking. This made her nervous, probably because she knew the race would be painful. But she took it out in a 35.33…her 100 fly split was a 1:15.81…very close to her actual 100 fly time. The split at the 150 was 2:07 and she came home in 35.33…to finish with a time of 2:43.08. A huge improvement, but not good enough to move up the standings…as she finished eighth.

100 Back : 1:09.22Y – Seeded 38/40 – Day 4 – An horrendous start. The rest of the field was underwater before Bailey ever moved off the blocks (she failed to hear the start…not sure how that happens, especially when she was only 2 lanes from the starter…but it did). The funny thing was, despite the bad start, by the time she surfaced from the underwater work, she was in second in her heat. She ended up swimming a 1:19.50…probably would have been in the 1:18s with a good start…

200 IM : 2:45.66 – Seeded 20/25 – Day 4 – Bailey informed me that the coach told her to save her legs in the back for the last half of the race. I find this funny, because the back half is her weaker half…so I don’t know if he really told her that, or if she made it up…but whatever the reason, she didn’t go hard in back, and she added a couple seconds 2:47.42

Gold B Team 400 Medley Relay – Seeded 7/15 – Day 4 – Interesting developments for Gold in this one…A few changes were made to relays heading into the this race, and the surprising thing is that at the end of the back leg, the B relay was only fractionally behind the A…then after the breast the A had again failed to open a lead over the B. This was undoubtedly going to change, as the A flyer is several seconds faster than Bailey…but the A flyer left early. Obviously, I don’t know this for a fact, but I truly believe that she was anxious to get a lead on the B team and lost her focus. For Bailey’s part, she swam an unbelievable split of 1:13.81 (so maybe her goal of going 1:14s wasn’t so ambitious after all). The team finished seventh.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bear

200 Fly : 2:46.48 – Seeded 5/17 – Day 4 – Bear forgot to take his inhaler before this race…and this isn’t a race you want to forget something like that. He was breathing way too often, and it never allowed him to get to top gear. He ultimately added over 3.5 seconds to finish with a 2:50.16. Given his huge improvement a couple weeks ago in this event, I didn’t expect much…and without his inhaler I think he did about as well as he could have. He was very disappointed, but he wasn’t going to medal in this one, as the top 3 ran away from the field, and despite his off swim, he still managed to finish eighth.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Brett

Gold B Team 400 Medley Relay – Seeded 11/14 – Day 4 – Brett’s dive this time was much better, and while he lost ground to two swimmers that were closest to him, he managed to stay close enough that the fly and free legs pulled out a 10 place finish…his split was right on his personal best of a 1:30 low…
Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote