View Single Post
Old 03-13-2017, 12:00 PM   #1
Izulde
Head Coach

The Likely Short-Lived Adventures of the Lavender Knights (Battle Brothers)

[i]OOC Note: It took me almost an hour to get the game to work. Finally, I realized that this is one of those games I needed to plug in a pair of headphones to have audio output to get it to run).

It was supposed to be an ordinary mission, wiping out a group of bandits. But they got the jump on us early one morning. We fought valiantly, but our captain and many of our men died. Their leader fled when Friedrich the Merciless savaged the last remaining grunts, saving our lives that day. Thank the gods for such a quick-thinking brute like Friedrich - long may his spear reign.

We set about burying our dead, and Reinhold was distraught. "With my eyes, I should have seen them!"

"...You were sleeping," I pointed out.

"But my sight is so good, I should be able to see everything even when I'm sleeping!" Reinhold retorted.

...Never mind. Logic was never our axman's strong point.

It took us a day to get back to the village. The steward wasn't happy the boss escaped, but still paid us. 400 crowns - not even enough to hire all the men we needed, let alone equip them. While we'd managed to scavenge a padded surcoat and a buckler, we needed more.

"I need to hunt down the bandit leader and finish him," the steward said. We agreed, thirsty to avenge our fallen comrades anyway.

Friedrich suggested that we either recruit among the villagers or head northeast to a city to find more experienced men there. I told him we would find new fighters there - I didn't trust the softness of city folk.

So we went to a local tavern, finding four men to sign up:

Bernhard the Brave: A skilled and lucky fisherman, but when his fishing cabin burned down one night, he lost everything. As you might expect from his nickname, he has no fear of uncertainty. Showed up the next morning with a straw hat and his fisherman's net. Price: 225 crowns (8 daily)

Thorismund: Recently released after years chained to the wall of a lord's dungeon, he's been reduced to a life of begging. Thus, for a pittance, he's willing to cast his lot with us. A hard life, and difficulty walking thanks to his clubfoot, has made him bitter, and thirsty to see the blood of his enemies. Price: 35 crowns (4 daily)

Kunold: The very definition of a working stiff. Daily employment opportunities have dried up in the village, so he's joining up for a consistent job. The best fighter of the lot, he's got good dexterity and is a pious man, with no fear of death. Price: 90 crowns (5 daily)

Jost the Peddler: Hype man to the extreme. No one actually believes his bullshit, and I don't like such braggarts among the men, but we need bodies. Literally a grasping man, eager for action, he's always first to fight, and can impressively inflict injury, thanks to a two-fisted grip. Also the best equipped of our new men, with a dandy tunic and hat, the latter of which he's very proud. Price: 250 crowns (7 daily)

Kunold received the padded surcoat, and we ended up giving the buckler to Jost after buying better equipment to outfit our newest members at the local market.

As we watched the dried fish and meat we purchased being loaded into our traveling cart, Jost asked me the company name. The old captain called us the Battle Brothers, and that was going to be my intention, but then the peddler told me that was a bad idea.

"It's a new company," he argued, "And we need to put some sizzle in our name. Let's call ourselves Knights! It sounds so much better!"

I pointed out we weren't nobles. He said it didn't matter. We continued arguing in this way, until I happened to glance at nearby lilac blooms. It was late spring, and the sight of these lovely, ephemeral purple flowers struck me as the perfect metaphor for our lives as mercenaries. Far too short, but beautiful for as long as we lasted.

"Fine. The Lavender Knights it is."

"Lavender? That's a bit prissy, even for me."

"Just go with it, recruit."

"Yes, sir."

And so we set out from the fishing village of Sanddorf, with the intention of visiting Ellengrube to the northeast. We got there late at night, so only the tavern was open. Nothing useful to be learned there, so we went back to Sanddorf, after receiving word the steward had information for us.

"Hoggart is in a hut southwest of here," Ivar said. "We've word that he's found some ne'er do wells to join his ranks anew, but if you strike now, such strong men as yourselves should take care of his greenhorns with ease."

Nevermind that we featured four pieces of fresh meat ourselves. "Let's go get the bastard," I snapped.

It took less than a day's ride. Scouting revealed a few thugs and an archer alongside Hoggart the Weasel. No problem.

"I hope my hat survives," Jost said as we prepared to attack. "It's quite splendid, you know. Used to belong to a noble."

After battle was joined

It was an interesting fight. Hilmar was completely useless, unable to hit anything. Kunold took not a scratch, and singlehandedly slew Hoggart. The other good looking fighter of the new batch, Bernhard the Brave, took one out as well. But it was Friedrich the Merciless who once again shined. Saving our lives in the first battle, he defeated two of the enemy for the second straight time. Reinhold took major injuries to his legs, but he still better off than...

...Jost, who got killed without having any effect at all.

"Well, at least his hat survived," Friedrich remarked.

"And this is why I don't want to hire city folk," I said.

Jost the Peddler, whose lone contribution was helping give us our name, you will be remembered as a founding member of the Lavender Knights.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)

Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote