View Single Post
Old 04-24-2013, 09:55 PM   #41
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

This post is off topic somewhat in regards to the original post, but I have to agree that scouting and identifying value is one of the biggest and most interesting aspects of the game and that the draft is my favorite part of the game.

While I'm not sure that everyone would agree, I would actually like more information available to us.

For example, some sort of college stats for each player, preferably every year, but even just for their final season heading into the draft. I want to be able to look at a players numbers and ask, does the talent (or projected talent) match the production, and vice versa? This would also give some hints into the avoid interceptions and fumbling stats.

Additionally, I'd like some sort of health grade from the combine. You hear it said quite frequently now that the most important part of the combine for teams is the medical. There is a good article on it here. Essentially your staff would label a player no risk, low risk, moderate risk, high risk or disqualified. Let's not forget that a guy like Gronk was not even on some teams boards, and also fell to where he did, because of health concerns. Looking at the article, they also reference Jeremiah Trotter failing the Eagles medical but Ray Rhodes over ruled removing him from their draft board.

Finally, I'd like to see an expansion of the "Red Flag" category and what exactly it means. I think "Red Flags" should definitely have an impact on player development/volatility and make it even more important to have a mentor at that position. Perhaps each player could have a "character" grade, or something along those lines. You spoke in the other thread about revamping the interview process, and I think this is where it could be done, in that the interview unmasks an accurate grade, similar to what it is doing now with the personality attributes. Perhaps have all players graded on a 1-3 scale for character (ie. Good, Average, Below Average) which is visible for even non-interviewed players, while interviewing could unmask some sort of 10 point scale grade (ie. Good unmasks to a 7-10 (being the best), Average to 4-7, and Below Average from 1-4). If you tie in leadership and mentors to typically be 9's and 10's in character, this gives a reason to interview the "good" guys as well as obviously wanting to interview the "below average" guys. Obviously the lower the character grade, the bigger chance there is to bust out because of it.

While the draft is still my favorite part as it is, I think this information would make the draft much more interesting. As it is, right now, I mostly focus on the combine results far above anything else, as I think many others do as well.

I want to be in a position where I have to scout players and make a decision. Do I take the big pass rush bar DE who was a combine standout but only had 3 sacks over the year? Do I take the stud running back who had a number of fumbles? What about the beast DT who grades out as a high risk medically, can I count on him to stay healthy? How about that all world WR who has major character issues and who could be as likely to bust as he is to turn into a star? Do I take a chance on that WR three years down the line when he gets cut because he hasn't developed, when I know that I have a WR mentor and leader who is an affinity match with him that could help him turn into the player he is capable of?

There is such a thing as too much information and while others may disagree, this is the information that I want before me and these are the decisions I want to have to make.
Carman Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote