View Single Post
Old 04-26-2013, 04:25 PM   #45
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyotall View Post
I agree with this whole-heartedly. There are times that I feel like I spend more time running change tracker and other utilities than I spend playing the game - and that's not what I want to do.

I think it's important to consider why people feel like they need to keep and track this information - IMO this is because it is so difficult to determine how good a player is based purely on the stats recorded; particularly for non-starters. The reason I think FM works so well is because it provides constant feedback both on how players are performing (they get a rating out of 10 for each game) and how they are progressing - there are regular emails from the coaches saying things such as 'player X has been training well', or 'player Y is not developing as anticipated due to a lack of playing time'. I don't feel the need to track how players' ratings have changed over time, because their average performance score year on year is tracked for me; and ultimately that matters more than their ratings.
I agree with the overall thought of this post. If the game somehow would tell me which players are making progress and which aren't, I wouldn't have to track the development curve, because my staff (technically the game itself) would do that.

Everybody likes to see their starting rookie quarterback grow from big green into big red bars, but it's a lot of work to track their progress. Just the improvement of the overall rating doesn't tell the story, a GM wants to know whether the rookie has the strong arm he's scouted to have and develops his long and deep throwing or not, or wants to see whether that awesome wide receiver indeed gets to learn the playbook and increases his route running ability, whilst also working on the desired sure hands, because he's still prone to dropping balls.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote