View Single Post
Old 12-20-2011, 12:22 PM   #8
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

2011 Short Course Season Goals

Brett

Brett, who had a good 2010 Short Course season, qualifying for State in the 100 Breast, ages up and the time standards drop significantly, due to many boys starting to hit growth spurts at this age. These growth spurts mean bigger, stronger boys and faster times. The time drop for Brett's state qualifying cut for the 100 Breast dropped from 1:39.78 to 1.25.99. That is a huge difference, and given that Brett's personal best was in the 1:38 range...he understood getting a cut in that event was going to be next to impossible unless he hit his own growth spurt. Therefore, he didn't really have any specific goals coming into the season. I urged him to set them, but (I did mention he was stubborn, right?) if he did, he never shared them with me.

Bailey

As I mentioned in Bailey's bio, she just missed getting a state cut as an 8 year old (in the 10 and under age group) in the 2011 Long Course Season (by the way, a state cut earned in an event short or long course, carries over to the next season automatically as long as the swimmer stays in the same standard...so a state cut last year would have qualifed Bailey to swim at state during short course season because she is still in the 10U age group). Her goal was to qualify for state in as many events as possible, and my goal for her was the same as it seemed pretty obvious she was going to make the meet.

Bear

Unlike Bailey, Bear wasn't terribly close to a state cut at the end of the 2011 Long Course Season. His closest event was the 50 Fly, but he was still 2+ seconds off of the required time. His goal was to qualify for state in at least 1 event, and I have to say that I was really hoping he would get a state cut. My fear here was that Bailey was going to get in easily and in a number of things and Bear would fail to make the meet. This would crush him as he would fall back on the "i'm the worst swimmer in the family" mantra...and in all honesty he probably would quit at that point. He would be too heartbroken to try again.
Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote