View Single Post
Old 04-15-2020, 04:11 PM   #423
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhead View Post
I never played the first Mount & Blade; however, I am a big fan of the Total War series. M&B2: Bannerlord is an early access game so it definitely still has it's raw edges but it has sucked me in harder than any game in recent memory. It has been a super welcome distraction.

There is just something really satisfying about the basic loop on the game: recruiting troops, commanding them as an actual solider on the battlefield using tactics and getting stuck in yourself, training your troops and expanding your army while trying to carve out life as a vassal (or form your own kingdom) is just fun. There are a ton of Let's Play videos up on Youtube that you could watch to get a feel for the game.

Having never played before there was definitely a bit of a learning curve at first. The one strong downside so far is that while the developer has been providing fantastic support so far the amount of almost daily patching that has been required has resulted in me needing to scrap a few of my saved games. There is enough variety though that even in restarting a new character a few times I am still having a blast.

The world map and nations in the game are fictional but are clearly drawing directly from real medieval cultures. It is all very recognizable if you have played similar strategy games based on the relative era.

If this type of genre floats your boat then there is definitely enough in the game right now to enjoy it. Otherwise it might be worth waiting until they iron more kinks out. Long term the future of the game seems bright given the content that is already there and the fact that the game was made with mod friendliness in mind and the modding community appears to be very active.

Thanks for this post. I never played the first one but after watching some videos, this game looks fun as hell. Someone on YT has the same older video card as I do and can run it on max so I purchased today and with this free time, I'll dig into it tonight.

I figured an EA game with over 71k reviews on Steam, it must be a decent game.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote