Thread: 2018 MLB Thread
View Single Post
Old 12-15-2017, 01:24 PM   #77
miami_fan
Coordinator

Trading the players is not the issue. I don't think anyone would aggressively argue that a rebuild is the right move for the Marlins especially given their woeful farm system. What's the rush, though? Is this the best deal they were ever going to get for Stanton? Ozuna? They had the option of keeping them until they got the deal they wanted. Of the players you mentioned the Astros traded, none of those players were traded in December. All were in season trades. The trades the Marlins made have a desperation to them that should not be there for a team who is supposedly taking the long approach. These were salary dumps.

The key is going to be the drafting and selecting of prospects. According to Jeter, he has someone to do that job. That would be Mike Hill, the guy who has put together the current putrid farm system. Forgive Marlins fans for not believing Hill's abilities in this area.

As far as the return for Stanton, there were reports that the first time Jeter talked to Stanton or his reps was when he demanded that Stanton accept the trade to the Giants or be stuck on a team that consisted of him and a bunch of scrubs. Probably not a good way to build a relationship given you need Stanton's approval to complete any trade.

It is still early so things can improve. However, the new ownership was supposed the opposite of the Loria/Samson regime. The new ownership has come in and been pretty much more of the same.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote