View Single Post
Old 04-27-2010, 10:07 AM   #64
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodgerchick View Post
What a fun day!

It certainly was very fun. I left out a few stories, too. On the way home we saw a cache at a rest area and thought we would grab it real quick just to boost our numbers a bit. Looked like a quick one, but it was raining a little and getting dark. We parked and my wife went to the restroom while I walked quickly (in the rain) up to the main building at the rest area to stay dry and see where we needed to go, exactly.

I was expecting, just eyeballing from the van, the cache to be near the building, so I wasn't too worried about the rain. I misjudged it quite a bit because I didn't have it zoomed in all the way. It turns out the cache was in the woods behind the rest area. Well, great. I headed back to get my umbrella before my wife came out of the restroom.

Well, this just became an ordeal, but I wasn't going to give up after stopping and getting out. Now it is a mission. We walked over to the edge of the woods and looked in. Now, here is the trouble. I have to keep my GPS dry, since it is not a rugged hand-held model. That's why I had to have the umbrella. Sadly, due to the rain, clouds, and now the umbrella, it is very difficult to get a good signal from the GPS satellites. When we headed into the woods, we were offered a choice of trails right away. I was unable to get a clear enough reading to fully decide, and I happened to pick the wrong way. So we went way out of the way and then had to bushwhack our way back across once the reading started settling back down. Going through the woods with a giant golf umbrella in one hand, a GPS that isn't getting a good reading in the other hand, and trying to keep two people dry is certainly not easy. We eventually found the sucker, but it took about 30 minutes longer than I expected. Oh, well. My wind suit pants were completely soaked when I got back to the van, too.

Cool story, huh?
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote