View Single Post
Old 07-05-2010, 10:33 AM   #92
MJ4H
Coordinator

You have to understand that geocaching is supposed to be done somewhat stealthily. To duck into those trees so you can get to the geocache and then have someone apparently standing there looking at you when you stand back up is shocking. To make matters worse, all sorts of horrible things run through your head immediately when you see they are in camouflage gear. Was really a horrific half second there when I stood up. I must have jumped a mile.

We decided to drive to Greenland (just south of Fayetteville) to grab a few caches next. I was smiling and laughing about that cache the whole drive.

We grabbed an LPC at a truck stop when we arrived in Greenland. This was one of those that I drive by every day going to work but never have time to stop and get. When I see it on the GPS each day driving to work, the only fun I can have with it is to eyeball the icon and try to guess where it is hidden as I fly by at the legal speed limit.

My guess on that one was right on. I knew exactly where it was, we drove up, pulled it out and signed the log. No pictures of LPCs. They are boring.

Next we headed towards a baseball park in Greenland. Behind right field was a telephone pole.

Caches like this can be deceiving. Objects like this just look like they should be there. You can actually just pull the whole container right out of the ground though.

Next was another playground type park. Here's what we saw when we arrived at GZ this time:

Where is this one hidden? You really do develop "geo-senses" that help you figure out where these things are hidden.

Spoiler

Next we found a cache in the woods off of a dirt road near a little river. Here are a couple of shots of the river, which was more interesting than the cache location itself.

Another cemetery cache next. This one was a bit unusual. We found this cache in a little fenced in old/flower-trash dump next to the actual cemetery. The cap on the chain link fence can be removed to find the cache.

There were a couple of others we found yesterday, but I didn't take pictures of them all. The last one we found on the way to dinner was at the Air Museum next to Drake Field, which is the old Fayetteville Airport (that almost no one uses now that XNA is up and running). The beacon tower out for the airport is right in front and the cache was brazenly just sitting under the tower. There is a little stack of concrete blocks built up around the container, but you can see right into it where the cache is there and even labeled.

Up to a total of 267 caches now. We did have one DNF yesterday, which was a pretty miserable drive down a tiny, horrible road which led to a swimming/fishing hole, that was apparently way more popular than you'd guess. It was a nightmare driving the van down that road and back. No pictures because it wasn't a very fun experience, honestly.

Last edited by MJ4H : 07-05-2010 at 12:42 PM.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote