View Single Post
Old 01-30-2011, 12:03 PM   #95
MJ4H
Coordinator

Our first geocaching trip since the one to Springfield yesterday. We went to Eureka Springs, Arkansas (a somewhat popular tourist town in the Ozark mountains) to grab some caches and just spend a pleasant day. Worked out really well, and we had a lot of fun.

We grabbed 3 or so on the way there, most noteworthy was the one at "Inspiration Point." The cache was in the first place I looked, but I missed it. Wife found it about 5 minutes later after checking in that same place. This particular event where I miss it quickly and she finds it later has happened more than once.

Regrettably, I forgot my good camera for this trip, so we had to make do with cell phone cameras, today. Not nearly as good quality, but fairly acceptable for something like this.

Arriving in Eureka, we found a geocache at the base of this viewing tower. Then we paid a dollar each to climb the tower and get a spectacular view of the area.

In the last picture above, you can see a tiny white t-shape if you look closely. This is the statue "Christ of the Ozarks," which we visited before leaving town later.

One of the most bizarre things I had ever seen was this "shrine" someone had built at a gravesite in what turned out to be a rather large local cemetery. Had to snap a picture of it.

On top of that contraption is an animal's skull (like an elk or something) with some John Lennon sunglasses on it. Really freaky.

It was late in the day when we made it across to Christ of the Ozarks. The sun was starting to get low in the sky, which made for some neat lightning as we approached it from behind.

And this is the view from in front of him looking towards where we were on the tower earlier in the day. The cell phone camera was not nearly good enough to see the castle-like building at the top of the hill across there, nor the many buildings lining that hillshide.

Oh well.

Also near CoO is a display featuring an actual segment of the Berlin Wall.

We added 15 new geocaches to our list of finds yesterday, bringing the total to 362.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote