View Single Post
Old 03-31-2019, 03:00 PM   #934
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Thanks for the warning - on the week I missed, it was just one of those brain fart things. I thought I had the tournaments set up, and had even done a couple training sessions in preparation for it. Happens to me a couple times a year usually - it's easy to miss stuff once in a while. As far as the WTC points, I don't worry about subtracting those out going in and checking all the players for when they lost the previous year, etc. That will all take care of itself as the calendar progresses this season.

August

Sushant Chiba played in the Washington 500 and lost in the semis as mentioned. He was lucky to get that far, needing a third-set TB in the quarters against Wentz who had beaten him early in the year. I went back and recalculated his rating to make sure nothing weird has happened. It's still up there at 8.57, a small decline from the 8.61 the start of the year. He's just not playing like it. Losing to Srba Dogic on a hard court is not a crime, but it's the first time he's lost in their matchups.

Amrik Kasaravalli got his first-ever big challenger win at CH+ Bogota, beating a couple of Top-50 players in the last rounds in close matches. He should be Top 50 himself by the time the next ratings supplement is released after the USO.

The younger players have mostly tripped and fallen over themselves. In two more futures outings they have yet to go anywhere in doubles, and Satyagit Guha is still winless in futures qualifying singles. Nasir Chittoor had a second straight bad-luck draw in his second attempt, drawing an American #1 seed at a tournament in the United States. Lost in three sets. The most recent try went better for him, as he won a few matches to reach the semifinals. Remarkably, Chittoor lost the first set in all four matches he played there, but came back three matchups in a row to win until his luck finally ran out. At least it was a decent tournament week for him, and he finally got a result to start moving up again. We're not really going to be happy about things until they start winning doubles matches again, but its a start.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote