View Single Post
Old 05-22-2019, 03:01 PM   #1021
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Yeah I think the history goes by numbers of year back and then counts the Olympics as a 500.

2066 Summer Olympics

The luckiest man in Tunisia was Harald Balzer, known to be past his best tennis. The Swiss made it to the medal round by virtue of other upsets, not needing to face a single seeded player to do so. He got smashed there by Nicolas Perez, who can do nothing easy so he won the gold in a final against Seamus Hughes, 7-5 in the 5th. Hughes upset reigning #1 John Hart in the semis. Unfortunately some players didn't benefit too much as some ranking calculations bugs definitely hit the Top 10 .

The only player I had enter was Sushant Chiba, who got through two rounds before losing to Hughes in three sets, a match where it wasn't as close as the scoreline. Interestingly, it's Chiba's third Olympics. He shouldn't have played the first one probably, and was upset in the second round last time out in '62 despite being ranked #3 in the world coming in. So at age 30, he actually made it further this time than either of his previous attempts. All of his predecessors at least made it to the gold medal match if not winning it - Dudwadkar lost the last two finals - so Sushant did not exactly have a stellar career in that respect. Italian Stefan Baloch making it to the QFs unseeded was probably the best of the other results.

This time of year is also busy below. There was a 500, a couple of 250s, and five Challengers going on so pretty much anyone who is anyone was playing somewhere. The next several weeks is a good time to pick up points for most players. Amrik Kasaravalli entered the Kitzbuhel 250(Clay), thinking himself to be the top seed - until the recently-fired Gonzoles entered there as well. It looked to me like he'd be pushed out in the semis, but he came up with a surprising second win this year over Patrick Sanchez, who is lower-ranked after a bad campaign but still a superior athlete and I thought that would be enough. Amrik then faced off against Gonzoles in the final, a very similar matchup ... and played like he left his racquet in the locker room, winning just three games. It's still a 250 final, but that was an embarassing display.

Chisulo Mpakati finally moved up to the Top 16, taking advantadge of the weakened field to snag the Washington 500. Now we switch fully to hardcourts, with Canada and Cincinatti Masters the next couple of weeks.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote