View Single Post
Old 09-01-2019, 03:42 AM   #1172
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Challenger Hero Update

It's been three months since my initial post on this. Some things went as I expected, and others did not.

Dropped Out: Solheim, Abinati, Gulley, Hughes, Narciso. This is literally the last five names on my list - out of seven. I wasn't expecting Narciso or, at least yet, Gulley.

Promoted: Edlund, Weigl, P. Perez, Smith, Campos. Jorge Campos wasn't even on my list, and other than Perez I didn't see the others moving up yet. So I was definitely more wrong here.

Where does this leave us?

Above the Line

25. Guillermo Valturri

26. Valery Stachovksy

These two have slipped a bit, but don't look like they are in any hurry to make way.

28. Ali Solberg

Solberg will drop down after Cincinatti.

31. Jorge Campos

Campos is pushing 30, won a couple challengers to get back up but will be hard-pressed to replicate the QF points from Canada.

Below the Line

35. Tommy Fitzpatrick

36. Joao Narciso

37. Peter de Boer

41. Nasir Chittoor

Analysis

Ok so we've got a bit of a problem here at first glance. Nasir is at best co-third out of this group of four, with only two obvious spots to take (Solberg and Campos). I think there's going to be a lot of bouncing around though as players move up, lose challenger points, slide back down as others win challenger events, etc. Another merry-go-round like we saw with Kasaravalli a couple years ago looks ready to start up, and I think it's going to be largely Anilophiles on it - Smith, Edlund, Weigl, Smith, Chittoor with probably Fitz, P. Perez, and possibly de Boer the Greater getting up and staying there.

The million-dollar question for me is how much of that game do I want to play versus just going for more practice sessions - with the understanding that a higher ranking gives more fruitful ones. And the answer is ... I really don't know. Nasir is still a couple of challenger wins away from really being on the bubble, but by about USO time he'll be there and I need to have a proper strategy formulated by then. Right now all I have are conflicting ideas. Some of the players who have pushed up 'prematurely' have thrown a wrench in things. I think I just get on the merry-go-round and try to be better at managing the hills and valleys than most of the others are until I can stick above the line ... but I'm not at all certain about this.
Brian Swartz is online now   Reply With Quote