World Team Cup, Level 3, Group 2, Round 3
Slovak Republic (39th) vs. Sri Lanka (45th), Indoors

- Monday: Radobrano d. Datar, 7-5, 6-2, 6-1
- Tuesday: Matejka d. Sankait, 7-6(2), 6-1, 6-1
- Wednesday: Intodia/Datar d. Prazsky/Radobrano, 2-6, 7-5, 7-6(5), 6-3
- Thursday: Radobrano d. Sankait, 7-5, 6-2, 6-1
- Friday: Matejaka d. Datar, 6-1, 6-2, 6-7(0), 6-7(2), 6-4

Slovak Republic defeats Sri Lanka 4-1!

Can't exactly say this wasn't expected, but I was hoping. Weird seeing it play out and having done almost nothing with any of these players, none of my current charges involved, no influence to exert on the outcome. A tough doubles victory is all we get, three of the four singles matches we had one close set and then folded like accordions. And don't ask me to make sense of that dead rubber at the end. I think maybe the Slovak player just got bored after a while? Would have been nice to get a singles win at least, but it wasn't to be.

So now we wait till the end of the year to see who we face in the relegation playoffs. Objectively, the group we have going right now would be one of the worst even in Level 4. We barely deserve to be in the competition at all, so I'm not holding out much hope for us to stay up again. It's more about trying to find a way to stabilize the situation and improve enough so we at least aren't embarassing ourselves on the bottom tier - sinking there is nearly a foregone conclusion unless we catch some nation horrifically out of form for some reason.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 08-14-2022 at 08:08 AM.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote