View Single Post
Old 08-20-2022, 06:49 PM   #1265
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Rome Masters

Xanthos and Albanos were MIA once again, but just when I was about to give up on them their manager returned, started doing training, and entered them in tournaments including the upcoming Roland Garros. So they're not gone, they just took an 'unscheduled break'. One that will cost them dearly as they'll have two empty Masters slots on their rankings.

Eddy Copperfield is nothing if not consistent, losing once again early to a Spaniard. It was (12) Raul Ramirez (MEX) who took advantage as the unexpected quarterfinalist, with the top seven seeds all joining him. Ramirez would exit routinely against Reimann, as you might anticipate. Ben Faille once again showed he isn't quite ready in a 6-4, 6-3 defeat to Cananis. And then there was the crucial 4 vs. 5 battle. It was probably the match of the week, with Toni Bardales unable to hold off Weigle this time, 6-7(4), 7-6(3), 7-5. The two of them are switching back and forth in the rankings, which is basically just likely going to result in them staying where they are; arms-length behind the Top 4. The Greeks met in the final quarterfinal match, with Solitris Papadias unable to mount as much of a challenge this time - a routine two-set dismissal.

Jochen Weigle got a whole four total games from the increasingly unchallenged world no. 1 in one semi, while an all-German second match went to Rene Cananis, 6-3, 6-3 over Reimann. Feels like we've seen this movie before, and indeed we have. Leon Polychroniadis claimed a clean sweep of the clay Masters 7-5, 6-3, and did so without losing a set this time. Historically RG is his worst Slam, but I'm sure not betting against him defending his crown there.

Elsewhere ...

Sushant Srivastava is making a habit of these quarterfinal exits in futures, finding the same result at Thailand F3. If this continues, in a few months he may find himself back in the amateur events for a bit. It was a pretty competitive showing against the top seed who has half of his ranking - I think Srivastava will break through, but I don't really know when.

Girish Raychaudhari showed a bit of progress as well, with a doubles semifinal and his first singles victory - but just the one in qualifying. He was close to another one though, setting the afore-mentioned mark in double faults during a long three-set defeat in his first-round main draw setback.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 08-20-2022 at 06:52 PM.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote