View Single Post
Old 08-31-2021, 12:36 PM   #192
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I don't follow high school football too much but what is the cause for the disparity in teams at that level? I went to a perennial playoff school and while we had blowouts, it was never 70-0 type stuff.

Are these schools that "recruit"?

The highlight of my career was a pick-6 against Kurt Kittner. I don't tell the story of him proceeding to throw for like 500 yards after that.
It can happen for a variety of reasons. Funding was a BIG one for Tucker when I was there. The county provided funding for four coaches per program. Tucker always had somewhere in the 14-20 range, virtually all of whom were coaching positions they'd played at the collegiate level. Tucker had a better weight room, practice field, etc. etc. etc. than every other public school in the area. That all came from funds raised by the booster club. Once you get to that point, you really don't have to "recruit," per se. I recall one year when the county wrestling tournament was at Tucker. I was standing chit-chatting with the head football coach at the tournament for a while. Probably 10 kids and/or parents came up to him in the half hour or so I was standing there asking the same thing: "what do I have to do to come play for Tucker?" The answer was always the same "move to Tucker." Some kids moved; others gave fake addresses. Another convo I had with the same head coach before a particular season: "Ben, I don't know what to do. I've got three transfers on this team who have the same address and I have no reason to believe they're related. Do I point-blank accuse their parents of lying, or run the risk of getting in trouble for having ineligible players???"

And in legendary places like Valdosta, I'm sure that jobs get offered to dads of top-tier talent if they'll just move to V-town. Nothing coordinated by the school, but by local folks who've followed the team for decades and want to keep winning.

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 08-31-2021 at 12:38 PM.
Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote