View Single Post
Old 05-30-2006, 11:08 AM   #55
revrew
Team Chaplain

CHAPTER 11: Our Bittersweet January

At the end of the regular season, Jeffrey Davis was required to make a $48 million dollar stadium payment to the contstruction crew working on our new stadium. With our successful season, Davis easily had the cash to do so.

The next day, however, a team of bankers and lawyers from Kendall Trust Lmtd. showed up for a meeting with Davis. As soon as they arrived, I left for a string of agents meetings on the west coast, so I only heard of the fireworks that ensued when Davis learned he had just lost 49% of the team.

Yet that night, I received a call on my cell from Davis himself. "You swindler," he sneered.

But I was ready for it: "Quit your crying, Davis. You remember what you said, 'Whatever it takes.' This is what it took. But you really have no cause for complaint. It was a simple business transaction, and a win-win transaction at that. You got what you wanted: victories over New England and Washington (and a legitimate shot at a SuperBowl to boot), and I got what I wanted, a slice of the team. It's simple, and good for everybody concerned. Besides, it's like you always said, 'You can't blame a flower for the color you pollinate into it.' What else did you expect of your underlings, o fearless leader? This is the color you pollinated."

There was a pause. Then a laugh. A hearty, gut-wrenching, tension-releasing laugh on the other end. "I suppose you're right! What can I say? I taught you to be a scheming bastard, and now that's exactly what you are! Very good. Congratulations."

"Thank you."

"You do realize, however, that as part owner, I can no longer shield you from your losses. Our little 'arrangement' regarding profit sharing is null and void."

"Yes, I realize that."

"So at the rate of losing $50 million a year, 49% of which you're responsible for, how long are your reserves going to hold up? Can you float those kinds of losses?"

"Still you underestimate me, Jeffrey. Do you really think the Rebels are going to lose $50 million next year? Most of our players are all locked up nicely with bonus money you've already paid them. We'll be doing very well shortly, and with home field advantage through these playoffs, I'll gladly sit back and enjoy half the ticket sales."

Our conversation ended shortly thereafter. Davis had found a new respect for the man he once called slave. Now we were partners, peers, and adversaries. Davis didn't realize, however, that he had underestimated me once again. For very shortly, one of those three roles was going to change.
I came to the Crossroad. I took it. And that has made all the difference.
revrew is offline   Reply With Quote