View Single Post
Old 06-28-2006, 12:14 PM   #70
revrew
Team Chaplain

That's when I learned of Jeffrey Davis' connections to organized crime. According to Graves, Davis knew the Rebels' new stadium was going to be finished soon, and the team should begin to turn a hefty profit. Davis didn't want to surrender any of his 48%, so he worked out a simple wager with a very wealthy Italian family. The Family would loan Davis $50 million dollars to weather the next 3 years. If the Rebels succeeded the way Davis expected, he would pay back the Family $75 million at the end of 3 years. If he wasn't able to pay, the Family would be given half of Davis' stake in the Rebels, a 150-million-dollar payoff.

The stakes were very high, but a win-win for the family, so long as Davis kept his end of the bargain.

For me, if I could sustain Rebel losses, I could drive Davis into a hole that would cost him half his stake in the team. The Family would own 24% of the team, Davis would own 24%, the NFL would own 3%, and I would own 49%. It would be a very good arrangement for me. If only I could find a way to keep losing money without losing the team...

"This...Family," I asked Graves. "They have a name?"

"Yes."

"They have a contact I can talk to?"

"Why?"

"Your information, Keaton, is very welcome. But I'm not at all certain I can trust it, let alone make 100-million-dollar decisions on it. I'd simply like to confirm your story."

"I'll get it for you."

A certain unnamed member of a certain Family contacted me a week later. I set up a meet with him and a certain financial backer that may or may not have any connections to any alleged Family and therefore couldn't be suggested was in any way connected to any alleged wrongdoing by any certain party.
I came to the Crossroad. I took it. And that has made all the difference.
revrew is offline   Reply With Quote