View Single Post
Old 07-03-2006, 10:45 AM   #72
revrew
Team Chaplain

Grammaticus: Thanx! Now, on with the update...

"It's very simple," I explained to a certain financier after I had confirmed Keaton Graves' story was accurate. "I require a certain favor, and in return I can ensure a profitable investment becomes an exceptionally profitable investment."

"An offer I can't refuse, eh? Go on."

"You stand to make $25 million net if Jeffrey Davis can garner enough profits from the Rebels to pay you off. You stand to diversify your portfolio with a $150 million investment in a professional sports franchise if Mr. Davis cannot make the necessary profits. In my position, I can ensure Mr. Davis is unable to gain profits from the Rebel franchise."

"And in return, what is this favor we can do for you?"

"I need to remain in control of the team to make that happen. Very simply, I need capital to make it happen. So here's what I propose: I will sell you 10% of the Rebels, at fair market value, which, after calculations, should fall somewhere in the $60-$70 million dollar range. All I ask as a favor, is that you make the...terms...of the purchase favorable for me."

"How so? And how does this help you?"

"If you were to pay me the $60-$70 million in installments, but not take ownership of the investment until the full amount was paid--"

"You'd have the money you need to lose, without losing contol of the team."

"Exactly."

"In the end, we'd have paid $50 million to Davis and $70 million to you. That's 120 million dollars. At the end, we'd own Davis' 24% and your 10%, for a 34% stake in the team. 35% of 600 million is 210 million dollars. 120 million to own 210 million, is that it?"

"In 3 years, I expect the team will be worth quite a bit more than that. The stadium will be built. Team value should exceed 800 million. You'd probably be looking at closer to a 280 million stake."

"Perhaps. But you'd still be primary owner at 39%, wouldn't you?"

"That's what I get out of the deal. That's the favor I need in return."

In every way, my arrangement with this financier was completely legal. I sold 10% of the team through this financier to Marinara Industries, Inc. for $64 million dollars, payable in installments, with ownership being transferred only after the completion of the payment schedule 3 years down the road. That gave me $65 million total to lose before I forced Davis to lose his gamble, and lose big. That gave me $64 million to lose before I turned a profit, if I wanted to keep the team.

If everything worked just right, the family would own 34% of the team, Davis would own 24%, the NFL would own 3%, and I would own a controlling 39%. The family would have bought its 34% at a nearly half-off discount, it would be a major player in a legitimate industry, and I'd still have some money left over to run the team in peace. All I had to do was stop Davis from making a net $25 million in 3 years.
I came to the Crossroad. I took it. And that has made all the difference.
revrew is offline   Reply With Quote