View Single Post
Old 08-23-2006, 12:01 PM   #94
revrew
Team Chaplain

Chapter 21: The Last Hurrah

The following offseason, Rebel fans were dealt a harsh blow to the heart. Running back Spencer Knowles retired after 10 seasons, 8 of which were 1000 yards+, never rushing for fewer than 948 yards in any season. Knowles finished 3rd on the rushing records list with 11,971 yards and 2nd on the list with 102 rushing TDs.

Furthermore, three of our other top stars were all up for new contracts: two of the "short-down" masters, Stockman and Chambliss, along with MLB Atkins. I wasn't sure I could handle the blow of losing Knowles, Stockman, Chambliss, and Atkins all in one year. It would be like like washing Mount Rushmore and watching three of the four faces crumble away.

Our staff was under contract, but I nonetheless faced some cruel decisions. Could I really afford to pony up all the signing bonus money needed to re-sign the stars of the team? On one hand, I had the choice of coasting by, letting the stars go, making my 50 mil--but it would be at the cost of washing away a national landmark! On the other hand, I could spend the money to keep Stockman, Chambliss (and maybe Atkins) but risk my life in the endeavor.

Hmmm...decisions, decisions. Such is the life of an NFL GM with ties to the mafia.
I came to the Crossroad. I took it. And that has made all the difference.
revrew is offline   Reply With Quote