View Single Post
Old 10-23-2007, 12:30 AM   #270
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

DECEMBER 16, 2009
As I set the roster just to see who we had on the team, I smiled. I'm really happy with this new lineup and don't see any reason to change it at all. We'll go and get a depth first baseman and get rid of 33-year Gabe Martinez in favour of someone who is more defense-minded and look for some more depth help in the outfield and infield, but...that's it.

I still haven't gotten the #1 starter I'm looking for. And you might look at our staff and say, "what? are you serious?" And I sure am. We need a guy who is automatic on every fifth day, because I feel like while we've got a good crew "for now" that it might not hold up long term. I might be wrong, but...I just feel like we need to go after someone on the market and I have one particular guy in mind that if we get him, that would be great and if not, well, then we'll make do with what we've got.

The Colonials are right on our heels and not just that, but they're still leading the "hearts and minds" battle among the faithful in Philly, despite being in central PA.

The camps of the teams in the metro-Philly region fall like this. The blue collar fans root for the Phillies, despite the fact that the team plays in the second-tier Continental League. They market themselves heavily as "The People's Team" and the fact that you can go to a Phillies game with a family of four for the same price of a ticket to a Colonials or Quakers game, makes them a fan favourite to be sure.

The Quakers are exciting to people who want a team based in Philly that wins. But the team has only been in town going on three years now and so, it remains to be seen whether they can sustain that sort of following and success over time. Moving to Jersey pissed off a few people, but people who follow the team regularly said that it was hard for a major league team to play in the park of a club that's supposed to be a "lesser" team to them, so....as long as they keep winning, it ought to be okay.

And the Colonials still attract fans because they've been around since the beginning, even if they moved and changed their name in that time.

December 17, 2009
We signed 28-year old starter Antonio Lopez (25-8, 2.99 ERA, 261K) to a four-year deal worth over $69 million. The 2006 Cy Young Award winner, he spent the past five years with the Atlanta A's going 102-50 over that five year period, with 1285 strikeouts over that time and a 2.84 ERA.

I felt like getting him on board wasn't just a plus for us, but a minus to our competitors, especially once it seemed evident that he was willing to come here.

He joins Aaron Larkin ('03) as the only Cy Young Award winners in the Quakers pitching staff.

"We really feel like we're building something special here," said General Manager D.C. Daly, "so I can't tell you how happy I am to be able to announce this deal just before Christmas. We're going to be able to have quite a holiday in Philly this year, let me tell you."

The 34-year old GM has seven and half years as a GM in the bigs, spending four with the Boston Yankees, one with the Providence Bees, half a season with the LA Dodgers and just completed two years with the Quakers in Philly.

He signed a contract extension that will keep him with the club until at least 2013.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 10-23-2007 at 12:31 AM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote